We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping from Santorini

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping from Santorini

Hello, we are thinking of flying to Santorini, staying 3 nights, getting some kind of ferry to a quieter island for a few nights, then getting a ferry to Mykonos for three nights, from where we'll fly home.

My questions are:

Does that seem a practical route? We can only spend 9 or 10 nights in total and want to see a lot! Also, do the ferries between Islands take very long? It may not be worth our while if we have to spend the best part of two days on ferries. Are the ferries expensive?

And does anyone have any recommendations for a kind of chill out Island in the middle of santorini and Mykonos? I was thinking maybe Naxos? We are open to any suggestions as to the best places to see and things to do as first timers to Greece. We will be going in August.

Thank you very much.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping from Santorini

Naxos and Paros are the obvious choices. If you want something smaller and quieter to contrast with Mykonos and Santorini have a look at Antiparos. I think you have time for another island besides Mykonos and Santorini. The ferry journeys you are talking about will be about 1 to 2 hours depending on exactly which island you go to and which ferries you use. If you let us know what you would like to do on your 3rd island, and when you are going you will get other suggestions from the regulars on the group.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 21:30
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping from Santorini

You can get to several islands on the way to Mykonos by various routes and ferry companies. Blue Star will take you to Naxos and Paros. Hellenic Seaways will take you to Ios and Paros. NEL-Lesvos Maritime will take you to Sikinos and Paros. In August from Naxos and Paros there are daily ferries to Mykonos.

If you want even more quiet you can easily get to Antiparos from Paros. There are frequent local shuttle boats to take you there from two different Paros ports.

As the ferry schedules for the upcoming season become available you will find them here: http://www.gtp.gr

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping from Santorini

GreecemadUK and brotherleelove, they are going in August! Antiparos is far from the quiet little island in August you may have experienced at other times of the year. Until the last week of the month all the rooms are full, and it's difficult to find a table for dinner in the evenings. It is a mistake to assume that in August smaller islands are quieter when the opposite is true.

Weekaren1982, if you want somewhere relatively quiet, an out of the way resort on a larger island is your best bet. Aliki on Paros or Kastraki on Naxos come to mind, but even they are likely to be busy. Most islands are less busy in the last week of August, when people begin to return home after the August 15th Assumption Day holiday.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopping from Santorini

Point taken, and I can't disagree. But all the islands suffer from the crowds then, and compared to Santorini and Mykonos I still think Antiparos would offer a more diverse and calmer experience than Paros or Naxos. My one experience with Sikinos was in June, but perhaps it would be even less hectic than Antiparos, even in August, since it's small with very little to offer aside from hiking and beach time.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 23:34
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Island hopping from Santorini

Antiparos is a beautiful island, and I can't think of anywhere more perfect in June or September. I wouldn't want to mislead anyone looking for a quiet island in August, though.

Right from the time I started going to Antiparos in May and June, islanders used to tell me how different it is in August, at least until the last week of the month. The one time I have visited in mid-August I couldn't believe my eyes! There were so many people on the pedestrian-only main street in the evenings it was hard to move. I couldn't find anywhere to sit down and eat until nearly 10 pm, because all the tables were full and people were queued up waiting their turn. Antiparos is a party island in August, with all the nightclubs on the square busy until dawn.

I can't speak for Sikinos, but am told the same is true in August of any small island with good beaches. If you like to party and don't mind crowds you will have a good time. Large islands have more room to spread out, so it is easier to find somewhere quiet even in high season.

6. Re: Island hopping from Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:22