We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini Restaurants

Michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini Restaurants

Any recommendations for moderately-priced, interesting but traditional restaurants for this May, preferably without too many American tourists like me? We are staying in Oia We will have a car but would prefer something in town.

Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini Restaurants

My favourite isn't in Oia, its in Exo Gonia - called Metaxi Mas. Wonderful food - Cretan-inspired and overlooks the eastern side of the island, so no caldera view. Ask them if they're opening their outside terrace at that time of year - they only open it for dinner service. They open at 2.00 p.m. for lunch. The staff will call a taxi for you (although there is a small path between Pyrgos and Exo Gonia).

http://www.santorini-metaximas.gr/en

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189433-…

I'll let others chip in with their favourite Oia restaurants.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini Restaurants

Neptune in Oia has some of the most traditional Greek food I know of. Also, Laokasti, Blue Sky and the Anemomilos Hotel Restaurant. For fresh seafood go down below Oia to Amoudi Bay. There are 4 fish tavernas on the wharf down there. Be advised that seafood is typically sold by weight, so be sure to ask the price before ordering so you are not surprised when you get the bill. It can be VERY expensive!

Except for the fresh grilled seafood menus are usually posted outside the restaurants so you can see pricing before you enter.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 17:04
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini Restaurants

If you dare to leave the Oia ghetto, head on down to Ntomatini in Perissa - Oia quality food at Perissa prices.

http://www.ntomatini.com/

And, on the plus side, not a Yank in sight, they're all still up in Oia, paying over the odds for their food.

PS - another vote for Metaxi Mas, it really is out of this world. Dare to be different, get away from Oia for a night.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 17:13
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini Restaurants

Ntomantini is a lovely restaurant - right on the Beach Road, so you can hear the waves on the beach. tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g635608-…

Otherwise, take the boat from Ammoudi to Korfos Harbor on Thirassia and eat at the Windmill Restaurant at Korfos Harbor - right by the edge of the caldera. The boat goes over three times a day and costs €1 each way.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini Restaurants

"they're all still up in Oia, paying over the odds for their food"

Better than the rancid bubble and squeak or frozen fish and chips you blokes in Perissa eat every day!! ;-P

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini Restaurants

That's why I love Perissa Lee, it's a home from home :-)))

Tell you what - if we're ever on the island at the same time, come down to Perissa (you get the bus from Oia, then change at Fira. It's ok, you don't need your passport lol), and I'll buy you dinner at Ntomatini.

Deal?

Edited: 18 February 2014, 17:57
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini Restaurants

You've got a deal, as long as they don't serve baked beans on toast with tomatoes or bangers and mash!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini Restaurants

No, that's Kamari Lee :-))

Edited: 18 February 2014, 18:26
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini Restaurants

Well, OK then.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
778 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini Restaurants

There are very few moderately priced restaurants in Fira, it really pays to look at the menu

before committing yourself, luckily most have them on display.

We were there 5 yrs ago and even then some tavernas which had a view direct over the caldera

were charging 12 euros for a greek salad!

For a drink the Kastro is reasonable (by Santorini standards) and has great view.