We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

Hello,

This forum has been amazingly helpful so far, so here is another question:

I am planning to take the flying cat 4 from santorini to mykonos on May 4. That early in May, is there any way to know how choppy the seas will be? I assume that the ferry won't be crazy busy since it isn't high season, but am I wrong about that? Thanks in advance!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

Barring any unforseen winds the weather in early May should be calm. Sit along the center line of the FC4 to minimize the sea-sickening effects of side-to-side rocking of the vessel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

Thank you so much for the info!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

Whenever I am on a choppy sea, I prefer to be able to see the horizon so, if possible, I travel outside. You can't do that on a catamaran but I prefer to sit by the window and look out of it all the time. I know brotherleelove disagrees with me because we've had this argument before.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

<< I know brotherleelove disagrees with me because we've had this argument before >>

Whatever gets you through the journey I suppose. You say tomayto, I say tomato.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

In any case, a twin-hulled catamaran rolls less than a comparable sized monohull. What you may experience in heavy seas is pitch, where the fore and aft of the vessel rise and fall in turn. I would have thought the best place to sit is more or less half way between the bow and stern.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

Thanks so much for all of your advice, everyone!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,216 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

Hi,

I have travelled in small catamarans/ferries all over the Aegean.

You basically take your chances on the day, don't know the average but it must be something like 50/50 in May in that area. You might be able to guess a day before but it can change literally on the day.

The centre line trick only works on small conventional ferries, fix you gaze on an island and bending zee knees, out on deck. That procedure does not work on an enclosed catamaran, you just have to bear it. I know, have experimented many times.

Depending on how bad you are, you can take a Bluestar ferry to Naxos/Paros and then the catamaran a relatively short 45-60 mins of potential torture. I prefer Naxos/Paros to Mykonos any way, so end of problem.

There are relatively few irritating taverna patrolling cats on Mykonos, not a problem.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

Thank you!

9. Re: Taking the Flying Cat 4 in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 05:21