We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical Outlets

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Electrical Outlets

Hi All- Will be taking my first trip to Greece in early May and am wondering if anyone could help me out with information on the electrical outlet adapters. We are coming from the United States and I have heard stories about people not being able to use their hair dryers and hair straighteners, even with the universal plugs. Does anyone have a website link for a particular plug you know will work for the hot appliances like that?

Also, do the cave hotels (particularly the family owned and operated type) offer clothes irons in the room like they do in the US?

Thank you for any help you may have! This is my first time out of the country so there are a lot of little things I'm not sure of! :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,833 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical Outlets

Hi,

Leave those 'power appliances' at home. They don't have universal voltage capabilities. Greece is 230 vac.

You would need to have a voltage convertor(transformer), not just a plug convertor.

Smaller low power devices like phones, tablets, electric razors etc almost always have universal 100-240 vac power capability.

The answer is just buy such 'power appliances' whilst in Greece, or do without.

You won't find irons in hotel rooms, never seen such a thing. You won't need one, creased is the new ironed....

However Greeks are very helpful and undoubtedly will find an iron if you really want one.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical Outlets

Most hotels have wall-mounted hair dryers in either the bathrooms or in the main part of the hotel rooms.

Some hotels do provide irons and ironing boards; Hotel Tagoo on Mykonos -- which is only a 2-star -- is an example of one hotel which stocks these items in its rooms.

As RH notes, Greeks are very helpful and hotel staff will do their utmost to provide appliances & other stuff travellers might request.

(As far as "cave" hotels go, there are some of these on Santorini but the vast majority of hotels in Greece are "regular" hotels, not the "cave" type.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical Outlets

If your personal appliances are not dual voltage, 110v-240v, they will not work in Greece even if you buy a plug end adapter. Look on the specification sticker to see what you have. They _MIGHT_ work if you buy the right type of power converter/transformer AND a plug end adapter for the wall outlet, but I wouldn't bet on it. Hair care appliances such as irons and dryers are NOT dual-voltage. Electronics such as phones, laptops, etc. ARE dual voltage . For these you'll still need a plug end adapter for your chargers that has two small round prongs for the Greek wall outlets. This is what it looks like: http://tinyurl.com/n5h7jg5 This does NOT change the voltage, it only allows you to plug into a Greek (pretty much all of Europe, actually) wall outlet. Wal-Mart sells all sorts of adapters and voltage converters, both separately and in kits, as do stores like Best Buy and your local AAA office, and any good travel store.

Yes, a few hotels do provide irons but chances are slim you'll find one. But if you ask I'm sure they'll probably either have one tucked away somewhere or bring you one from home.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
81 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical Outlets

You can buy cheap dual voltage hair dryers at walmart for under $15.00. They have a little switch on them or a slide that you change them over from 110 to 240, clearly marked and simple to switch back and forth. Have your family look at their hair dryers, you might be surprised to find that they already have a dual voltage, it might have a little round button that you put a slotted screw driver into and turn to change from 110 to 240, they are more common than you think. If none of yours are dual volatage just go to walmarts web site and type in dual voltage hair dryer and you'll see a dozen come up, some for only $9.00

If you want the best travel converter adapter made it's the Bestek MRJ301A Universal Travel Adapter, for about $25.00, it's a no-brainer, automatic converter, no switches to switch or figure out, you plug it in and it's electonics figures out what to do, step or step down, it does it automatically for you.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 04:20
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical Outlets

Don't spend too much money on adapter plug kits, especially not those clunky universal kits that are advertised to work everywhere in the world. You will need only the type in brotherleelove's link, and they shouldn't cost more than a few dollars each. It's helpful to have more than one, as most people travel with several electronic devices these days (e.g. phones, tablets, cameras). I bring several on every trip.

I agree with the above comments about leaving your hair dryer/straightener at home. Buy a proper 240V appliance when you get to Greece if you find you really need one. It will work virtually everywhere in the world that has 240V electricity, so can be used on any subsequent trip outside North America.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical Outlets

BTW, the Bestek MRJ301A Universal Travel Adapter is rated for a max of 300 watts. Although the US amazon.com website doesn't say this, the Canadian amazon.ca website includes the following warning: "Don't use with Hair Dryers,Curling Irons or any electric appliance whose power is higher than 300W."

What these websites don't say is that solid state voltage adapters will harm electronic devices. It's far better to have 100-240V devices that can be plugged directly into 240V sockets through the adapter plug in brotherleelove's link. I can't think of any circumstance where I would need or want a universal travel adapter.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Electrical Outlets

Looking again at that link I provided, just now I realized that you might not fully understand. The opposite end from the two round prongs is where you plug in your charger's flat prongs. That completes the adaptation from U.S. wall outlets to those you find in Greece.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electrical Outlets

A bit more useless information; There is no difference between 230v and 240v. Appliances that are designed for either will work. In the UK we used to have a 240v supply whereas most of the rest of Europe had a 220v supply. They solved the difference just by calling everything 230v.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
81 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electrical Outlets

Why do people need a converter and not just an adapter plug to convert the plug?-- electric shaver isn't dual voltage, my point and shoot camera's charger is not dual voltage, my scuba diving video light chargers are not dual voltage.. my portable GPS unit isn't dual voltage, my Ipod charger isn't dual voltage, my rechargeable portable Ipod docking speakers aren't dual voltage.. the list goes on and on why people need more than just the plug adapter for traveling abroad... a lot of cell phone chargers and laptop chargers are dual voltage but that doesn't mean everything else is too

Edited: 11 March 2014, 01:03
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
81 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electrical Outlets

and no the bestek isn't rated to run a hair dryer, that's not what its made for, that's why I suggested buying a dual voltage hair dryer for $9 at walmart, and if you consider it 'bulky' you've never actually seen one

Edited: 11 March 2014, 01:05