We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way To Navigate Santorini

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way To Navigate Santorini

I am staying in Fira and will have 3 full days to explore the island (Tues-Thurs). I am happy I am centrally located in terms of the bus system, but have no idea on how big the island is. It seems of all the routes the longest is about 30 minutes. To ensure I see everything I want is it better to "split" the island north/south or maybe east/west? Knowing how far the villages are from each other will give me a better idea of how much I can do in a day. Also, I will not have a car while I'm there and use the bus a lot now in my city so am used to transportation like this.

Santorini Unique Experience Tour
Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Santorini Skyline Travel
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Blue Domes Tours & Travel
Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Helicopter Tours
Kamari Tours
Taxis & Shuttles
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way To Navigate Santorini

The answers depend on what you want to see and how long you take to accomplish this sort of exploration. We don't know. Just take it one bus at a time. If the archaeological site of Akrotiri interests you go there first. That will take you to the south end of the island. Oia is on the north end, 7 miles from Fira. There are separate buses to Perissa, Kamari and Vlichada beaches.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way To Navigate Santorini

Print all the separate bus schedules a few days before you leave so you will have the updated one. Here is the site http://www.ktel-santorini.gr/.

You have to note that you cannot go from Kamari to Oia or Perissa to Oia on the same route, you have to change in Fira. The main bus station is in Fira BUT some of them you can also change ON the road. For example see Akrotiri, take the bus back but jump off in Megalochori, explore the village. Take the bus in the opposite direction, to any beach, either to Perissa or Perivolos or Vlichada depending on the bus shedule. On the way back from the beach you can stop in Pirgos.

For the other side of the mountain (Messaria Kamari, Exo Gonia, Mesa Gonia, Vothonas you take the bus towards Kamari. You can jump off to visit Art Space and Donkey Beer brewery in Mesa Gonia. You can jump off to walk around in Vothonas village or jump off and walk uphills to Exo Gonia. You can take the bus again and go down to Kamari beach. Or do it all the way around..up to you..

For Monolithos beach you take the bus going there.

To see Imerovigli or Finikia, take the bus towards Oia.

Here is my Santorini Trip Ideas and what I think not should be missed (except Oia and Akrotiri which is a must) tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i36651-Santorin…

Ingela

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
679 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way To Navigate Santorini

Tim H: I did both options. Firstly the bus: It's irregular timing although there is a schedule, no distinct bus stops, all bus transfers are done in the downtown bus stand which has no distinct schedule (need to ask when the bus is leaving). We did it one route from airport to Perissa and then quickly decided to hire a car for the rest of the time. Car hire is pretty low priced with CDW, and easy on gas. Only challenges are the narrow roads and the difficulty of getting a parking space in town. Note: You MUST have either an EU licence, or an Int Driving Licence to hire the car there - there are no buts about it. No licence, no car.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way To Navigate Santorini

Sorry Weimin, but there are bus schedules and they follow it, so no need to ask when the bus shows up. Generally the busses are in time even in high season and then there will be busses every 15 min to some places!

Just copy the bus schedule at the main bus station in Fira, or as I do - take a photo of it! Since there are no bus schedules at most of the bus stops you will need to know when the bus leaves from its original station.

Ingela

Edited: 29 March 2014, 07:53
5. Re: Best Way To Navigate Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:16