We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Normally I'd have lots of time for planning and research but for various reasons, it looks like the 2 week holiday needs to take place mid June and be booked asap. So, for that reason I'm hoping someone could give me some pointers. I have done a quick enough check for travelling to Santorini mid June from Dublin, but most packages, searches are coming up with 2/3 stops to get there and over €2,000 pp for 7 nights only! Could anyone recommend how they did the trip recently? ie. via UK and then direct to Santorini and if you booked independently? The other options I'm looking at is Aer Lingus to Athens, then ferry or another flight but I'd say this means a stopover in Athens? That may not be a bad thing. The other option I've looked into is the new flight by Ryanair from Dublin to Chania, Crete, possibly staying there for few nights, and taking fastcat ferry by 1.5 hours to Santorini. and returning via another island and possibly via UK as there seems to be much more direct island flights. We have 2 weeks and would like to spend 1 week in Santorini and 1 week or most of it on another island, within reasonable distance (few hours on ferry) from Santorini. Any previous experiences of this sort of trip from Ireland very welcome. We usually travel independently but open to package if its easier or better value (but also cant find dual centre package - again if anyone knows travel agent in Ireland who does Greek islands well, much obliged for tips).

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Gatwick may be your best bet. Various options - I haven't looked at prices in months since I booked my flight.

Either easyJet, Thomson, Thomas Cook, Norwegian Air - all fly direct to Santorini.

Average flight only price with the likes of Thomas Cook is around the £300-350 mark (to give you something to compare to).

I've used Olympic Holidays a few times, but they've started using Small Planet Airlines, which although my flight wasn't delayed the one time I flew with them, there are reports of others on other routes not being so lucky.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Alternatively, Dublin to Manchester with Ryanair (shudder), then Easyjet from Manchester to Santorini, EJ fly several days a week from Manchester.

Thomson and TC also fly direct from Manchester, Tuesdays only.

Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Hey,

I'm from Ireland and going to Santorini this Summer. We're going to fly Dublin - Athens which flies in late. Going to do a night in Athens and fly to Santorini the next morning.

Think it costs about €300 for the flights (return)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Hi there. We are in Belfast and are flying out from Dublin to Athens, spending some time in Athens, Naxos, Santorini and then finally Crete where we get a direct flight back to Belfast. We have 14 nights but all the islands we stop at are along the central ferry line.

Unfortunately we don't have any direct flights to Greece in early May from Belfast and found going from Dublin was cheaper than flying into London for example. Flightscanner helped.

The only issue I see with flying to Chania is (please confirm this as i'm not 100% sure and just working from memory) that you need to get the ferry to Santorini from Heraklion port and that will take approx two hours to get to by car from Chania. If I'm right then you would be better flying from Athens (Olympic air I believe) to Santorini or since you have two weeks, maybe stop of at another Island and travel via ferries.

Let us know how you get on. We are still organising our trip so don't fret :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Just to add - Our flights came in around the £400 mark. It wasn't the cheapest but was definitely the quickest and most convenient for us. Remember than you will need to get back to the airport well in advance of your return flight. That's why we are flying back from Crete. We didn't fancy wasting a day or relying on the ferry to get back to Athens. Something to consider

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Many thanks for all the advice here to date, It has been very helpful. I'm looking into a few options every day. So far the cheapest and quickest way anyway seems to be with aer lingus to athens and on onward flight (at least one overnight in athens required) with Aer Aegen although have not checked Olympic yet. I have checked flights via Gatwick/London to date and then onwards with Easyjet but the are coming up more expensive and also require a london overnight for the dates we are looking at. Will check Manchester options next. Would probably like to visit one of the other Cyclades islands such as Mykonos or Naxos more than Crete (also yes Chania is a bit from where the ferry comes in/departs just was not sure how far but 2 hours is too much) as we have been there before so am investigating options back from those islands as we speak. I realise now again why I have given up before as its not an easy trip but I really want to go an santorini and this may be my last chance for many years to go so determined this year.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Hi, we were married on Santorini ten years ago this July and are going back for the anniversary this time with two kids!

We are flying Dublin to Athens, arriving there at 9pm approx.I've booked a hotel down at the port of Piraeus for the night as the Blue Star ferry leaves every day in summer at 7:25 am.We are going to Paros first for a few nights then going on to Santorini for five nights before crossing to Kos and then Bodrum, Turkey for another week.Flying home direct from Izmir to Dublin with Aer Lingus.

The Blue Star ferry also calls at Naxos and Ios too en route to Santorini though of course from Piraeus you can get to many islands including Mykonos too.

In and out of Athens with Aer Lingus looks your best bet.You then have the usual decision to make of travel to and from the islands.Air or sea?We're in no hurry and the ferries will be an adventure for our two kids.It may not be ideal for you but the Blue Star ferries are the most dependable mode of transport around the Aegean.

Good luck!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

Surely simplest is Dublin to Athens (arrive early afternoon) and connect to Santorini with Aegean Air same day. There are 5 or 6 Aegean flights daily. We have booked this for mid-May.

9. Re: Best way to get to Santorini from Ireland (quickest)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:15