We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Santorini for a day -- what should we see and do?

Hertfordshire UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
In Santorini for a day -- what should we see and do?

Hi Everyone, i would appreciate some help... I am on a cruise in September with my hubby and 3 adult kids.. early 20's and the ship docks in Santorini for the day. I have always wanted to visit Santorini but have never had the chance before now. We are a family of 5 so would we be better off taking a private tour guide who can tailor everything to our needs.. or is it small enough that we can just wander on our own. Can anyone recommend anybody reliable and knowledgeable?

I have read on a few sites that one should definitely avoid going up on the donkey. So apart from donkey and walking is there another way up? And what is it like? Do we need to be aware of queues etc. Bear in mind we only have limited time.. from say 9.30 till 4...

Can anyone tell me if there is something special (apart fromt he whole island!!)that we must see?

All tips and bits of advice very gratefully received.

Thank you

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
311 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Santorini for a day -- what should we see and do?

You can take the donkey up, walk up (its quite a way and you have to manouver past the donkeys) or there is a cable car that takes you to the top, from there just walk around and take in the views they are just magic as you are there for only a short time I would suggest you just meander around and enjoy the breathtaking views take plenty of film you will need it we were there for three days and took so many photos it was fantastic.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Santorini for a day -- what should we see and do?

Yes, PLEASE don't use the donkeys. There's a cable car ride up from the wharf where the cruise ship passengers disembark into the main village of Fira above.

Rent a car and head to Oia for a look around and for lunch below the village at Katina's Fish Taverna on Ammoudi Wharf.

Then drive across the island to Kamari Beach and the historical site of Ancient Thera.

After that go back to Fira and stroll around until it's time to leave.

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: In Santorini for a day -- what should we see and do?

There is a full guide below , for a complet visit on this island..

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1121-Follow_th…

4. Re: In Santorini for a day -- what should we see and do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 15:15