We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

santorini/athens help!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
santorini/athens help!

My husband and I are making our first trip to Greece. We plan to arrive in Athens June 17th and then head to Santorini. Seeking 6 nights starting 6/18 in a romantic quiet place with easy access to restaurants, private pool or jacuzzi if possible and ability to explore local fare. Sea views a must! We are fit; no worry about stairs. No cruises please. Just relaxation. Intend to leave Athens on 6/27 so any small good hotel there is helpful, too. We have saved our pennies for this trip. Hope to spend 2K-2.5K for the santorini hotel. W have a room reserved at La Perla for now...

Thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: santorini/athens help!

$2500 = €1800. Divide by 6 and your max budget is €300/night.

This is what's available in Oia for €200 or more then: http://tinyurl.com/oxk6tol You can adjust the price to include less-expensive properties and other facilities/amenities by using the filter system.

It'll be hot so finding one with a pool would be a good idea. If you choose a hotel that doesn't have a pool you can use the public-access pool here: http://www.lioyerma.gr It's free to use as long as you buy food and/or drinks and is a great place to sit in comfort to watch the sunset.

Another possibility I see is one without a pool but just steps from the sea, below Oia in Amoudi Bay and a great bargain. Take a look at Amoudi Villas. greekhotel.com/cyclades/…home.htm You get there by walking down the steps or using the road, and there are 3 seafront tavernas right there below your Villa. http://tinyurl.com/qhq8924 The villas are on the left side of the photo just above the other structures.

The best swimming on the island is also down there at the end of the seawall to the left of the wharf, about 1/4 mile. This is what it's like there: http://www.larios.gr/photo_1156998.html

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: santorini/athens help!

Actually we are spending 2500 US dollars. I have found two good options I think: LA Perla or Volcano View; any thoughts here? Also, I read a post about free day tours in Athens called My Athens that sound quite good. I guess I should post in the Athen column about that, and seek a hotel there.

If you have feedback on these two properties or others in Santorini, please let me know!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: santorini/athens help!

$2500 US is €1800 at today's rate of .72

Brotherleelove correct as usual.

Double check your reservations as the hotels are probably quoting you in euros - you don't want sticker shock when you get your credit card bill in US dollars.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: santorini/athens help!

will do; we will probably spend up to 3K as it is our first vacation without our daughter in forever. Any feedback on choice of hotels? Is that plowed on this forum?

Edited: 13 April 2014, 15:37
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: santorini/athens help!

Volcano View Villas is outside Fira and you may need to hire a car for sightseeing. I believe there's a shuttle, but I don't know the hours it operates. It's location would make it more difficult to wander to restaurants and shops.

Oia is more mellow than Fira.

For both hotels, check the reviews on TA and www.booking.com. For those on TA, you can send a PM to reviewers to ask specific questions.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: santorini/athens help!

You can also read reviews on the booking.com website, the first link I provided you. And you can just change the village name to see what's available in Fira.

Volcano View is a decent walk from Fira, about a mile I think, so if you're fit and willing you can just walk into Fira to the shops and restaurants or to catch the bus to other areas of the island. La Perla in Oia is a lovely place to stay. In the same area of Oia check Kima Villas, Nostos Apartments, Atrina Houses, Delfini Hotel and Filotera Villas. These should all have something in your price range and all have a view of the caldera.

Following Kennydon's suggesting of contacting past guests at a hotel by PM is the best way to get the details that might be missing from their reviews.

7. Re: santorini/athens help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:16