We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

As we need to fly in and out of Santorini (from London) but staying on Ios - How regular are the Ferries between the 2 islands? I've tried looking on different websites but most show that the Ferries dont always stop on IOS. Appreciate some local knowledge on this one please.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
London
London
England, UK
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

If you go to http://www.openseas.gr and use the calendar function to backtrack to last July you will see what was on the books then between Santorini and Ios. I'm not sure if the schedules that are available now for July, 2014 are complete yet but you can see that as wel,l and keep checking for updates. You can also check on http://www.gtp.gr. In July there will be the most ferry departures as there ever are during the season, so your chances are good for a long day's stay there.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g196481-i4218-k7…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

Thank you for that link to the Ferries - much appreciated. The Ferry that arrives at 12.15 should give us enough time to get to the airport for the 2.00 pm flight. Should we pre-book a taxi? Is it only 15 minutes to get to the airport from the Ferry or is that a gross underestimate?? We are trying to avoid spending the night before in Santorini - not because we don't like it, just because this will only give us 4 nights on IOS

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

Yes, it should give you enough time __PROVIDED__ that it arrives on time. Seajets catamarans have a problem with punctuality and reliability, and I would never rely on them to get me to the airport on the same day.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

Expect a taxi to take 30 minutes to get to the airport from the port.

It's a major risk to rely on a July ferry to bring you back to Santorini the same day as your flight back to the UK, and especially so in July. The Meltemi winds are at their strongest in July and ferries sometimes don't depart if the winds are too strong. Worst case scenario: Your ferry might not even make it to Ios from the island just before, or could be delayed past your flight departure.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

Last summer the Sea Jet ferry was typically an hour late by the time it reached Santorini. This year they are using a different (larger) catamaran, Masterjet, and it remains to be seen whether it will be more punctual. On their timetable they allow only 10 minutes at each port to unload and load passengers and cars, so my guess is they will be running late.

Ask yourself what are the consequences if you miss your flight? Book a hotel on Santorini for the night before, and you won't have that worry.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

Thank you everyone - yes, definitely warrants a night on Santorini before flight

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

As I said on the other thread, you need a night on Santorini on the return.

A ferry arriving at 12:15 is just theory, the reality is they tend to be late because of their long routes, I auto-add 1-2 hours.

The last time I left Ios the ferry was re-scheduled to an hour later, possibly just more realistic timings I don't know.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 00:51
Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
9. Re: Ferries Santorini to Ios & Return in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16