We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

Sydney
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

My husband and I are going to catch the Sea jet or Hellenic Seaways ferry from Santorini to Crete on 23rd Sept.

I have looked at booking online but am not keen to organise pick up at the Athens office or hotel. The best option would be to have them posted to me here in Sydney before we leave home in late August.

Alternately, as we will be in Santorini for 4 days, is it possible to buy our ticket in Santorini. If so where?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

You can purchase Hellenic Seaways tickets in Fira at Pelican Travel on the main square. Avoid Sea Jets if possible. They have a terrible reputation.

You can also buy these tickets at the Athens Airport from the travel desk of Amphitrion Holidays in the Arrivals Hall between exit/entry doors 2&3. They're open 24/7. Cash only, no CCs.

Sydney
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

Thank you brotherleelove.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

Whatever you do, don't have the tickets posted to Sydney! It's expensive, and they could be delayed or lost in the post. All you need is the reference number received when you book online to pick up tickets at an agency in Greece. It's a bit like the e-ticket system used by the airlines, except you need the actual paper tickets to board.

Frankly there is no need to book online for 23rd September, but you can if you wish. Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 5 carries over 800 passengers, and Sea Jets Megajet carries 750. I doubt there will be anywhere near that many travelling at the end of September. Of the two ferry companies, I would prefer Hellenic Seaways, although the catamaran used by Sea Jets on that day is much larger than the ones that attract complaints.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

Booking and picking up tickets, or just buying tickets on Santorini is the way to do it. Ticket agencies are in Fira town and in Athinios the port.

I don't see why all this complicated sending to place X or Sydney is going to help.

At the end of the day it's the local ticket agency which is going to give you any information anyway so why not use them.

Seajets are not as bad as suggested, at the end of the day the vast majority of ferries do run to their schedule. Any mechanical transport at some point has glitches.

Sydney
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

Sounds like we will buy our tickets in Fira. We are staying in Fira for 4 days, so that should be easy. Thank you

6. Re: Ferry ticket purchase on Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:16