We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Tax?

Toronto
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Tax?

Just curious what the restaurant tax is in Santorini? So, I have an idea before I order our meals :)

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Tax?

The taxes are included in the price of the meal.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Tax?

But what is sometimes NOT included is a charge for the bread and sometimes even pre-packaged napkins and silverware. I've noticed that is is becoming more common as time passes.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 17:10
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Tax?

According to a "new" law *a few years ago, restaurants are not allowed to charge for bread IF they don't ask the guest from before! There was a huge discussion about the matter before the law was approved. Restaurants has to have the price of bread written in the menu and in case they bring it without asking (and you don't wan't it), just tell them!

In Greece the VAT on food is 13 % but higher on Santorini, I think 16%. And yes, it's included in the price. An additional tip is is not obligatory, but it is common to round off the amount, especially when paying in cash. For example, you may choose to pay 20 Euro for a 18,60 Euro bill, if you are satisfied with the service. Such tips can be left on the table, or you may tell the waiter that you don't expect to be given any change. In general, a 10 to 15% tip is usually sufficient.

Ingela

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Tax?

VAT on food is 13% in mainland Greece, but in the Aegean Islands (including Santorini) it is 9% :

taxand.com/taxands-take/…

80%9D-framework-tax-customs-litigation

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Tax?

The price is what you read in the menue. You dont have to pay more. The most tricky may be when you are ordering fish, and the price is pr kilo. The few cents for the bread will never ruin your your budget, while the price of the fish may be a surprise.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Tax?

I've seen the "table" charge as much as €1 per person.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 21:29
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Tax?

One of the reasons to avoid Santorini.

Toronto
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Tax?

Tax included in the prices... good to know! Other incidentals like being charged for bread or a "table charge" don't bother me. Thanks!

9. Re: Restaurant Tax?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:16