We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Famous blue domed churches

lancs
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Famous blue domed churches

How far are these from Kastro restaurant? Are they even in Oia?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Yes, they're in Oia. You'll see them on the way to Kastro, on the left at the bottom of the steps just past the Red Bicycle Restaurant.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,673 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Oia

http://tinyurl.com/cq6dtp

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Greek-Traveller,

Thanks for sharing your photos - beautiful !

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,451 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Famous blue domed churches

One look at some of Erik's photos and I'm no longer in dull, grey London. I'm back on Santorini - wandering down the maze of Oia's pathways, eating at Katina's or remembering the jump into the caldera I took from the platform at the swimming place around from Ammoudi Harbor.

Thank you.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,673 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Thanks for your kind comments !

lancs
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Yes.Lovely photographs. Makes me look forward to my holiday even more.

Level Contributor
126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Kennydon, where is this jump spot?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Walk to the end of the seawall the begins to the left (facing the water) of the wharf in Amoudi Bay. At the end is a man-made platform. You can jump off there or you can swim across to the platform on the little rock island and jump off two different heights.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32580031@N06/3248732780/in/photostream (Credit to Greek-traveller)

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,451 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Photo #65.

It's a few minutes past the restaurants at Ammoudi Bay. Due to rockfalls you'll probably have to do a little clambering in order to get to the concrete platform that is used for sunbathing. The platform itself is on the little island - it's accessed usually by climbing up the cliff.

I'll give you re same advice I give to anyone considering the jump:

A couple of things I always do as a precaution, and it doesn't matter how often I've been swimming there before.

1. First visit of the year - swim out below the platform and check where you'll be landing. It is very deep, into the caldera, but I always want to see with my own eyes that no rocks have come away from the island and are lying where I'll enter the water. Just your general "know how deep the water is" bit.

2. Wear either sandals or neoprene beach shoes. The platform is pebbled and its hard to get a good take-off and jump away from the rocks if you're doing the "eekk - ouch" thing 'cos the soles of your feet hurt.

They might sound silly precautions to others, but I'm willing to appear silly if it keeps me safe. Rather a few minutes checking than spending the rest of my life in a wherlchair regretting it.

Level Contributor
126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Famous blue domed churches

Cheers, was 5 years since last visit but heading out September. May have a jump!!