We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of ferry schedules

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Change of ferry schedules

Hi,

Myself and some friends arrive at Santorini airport at 1.10 pm on the 24th of July. I see the latest ferry to Ios on the schedules is currently listed at 2.30 pm on the same day. My question is, as this doesn't allow for much of a delay, how likely is it that another later ferry is added to the schedule? Obviously a later ferry would be a lot less stressful in case of a flight delay. Do you think it's possible to make this ferry if we had pre purchased our tickets?

Thank you

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of ferry schedules

The chances of a later ferry are nil, but Seajets have a reputation for running late so you may actually make it. Booking ahead won't save you time because you'll still have to go to the Seajets ticket agent to get the paper tickets

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of ferry schedules

It's very unlikely there will be any extra ferries added now for July. Provided your plane is on time and you can get a taxi from the airport straight away to take you to the port, you should be able to do it. You will still have to collect your tickets from an office at the port even if you have booked them in advance (unless you can get them from an agency in Greece before you get to Santorini). If your plane is late you will have lost the price of the tickets as you won't get a refund. If it were me I wouldn't buy a ticket until I got to the port and hope there are still tickets available as I think it's too much of a risk. The alternative is a night on Santorini.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of ferry schedules

I didn't see Ozzlem's reply before posting mine. He is right about Seajets often running late and I thought of that but in this case it arrives into Santorini a long time before it departs, so it isn't likely to be late leaving.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of ferry schedules

There are 4 ferries Santorini to Ios that day, 3 are large catamarans and 14:30 is the last one. That I feel is very unlikely to change.

You have some chance of making that I guess, Seajets do tend to run late as well.

If you pre-book tickets you may just loose the cost which you could have been spent on a night on Santorini to relax and get the ferry next day.

I would do the latter even though I don't like Santorini.

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of ferry schedules

Wow thanks for such quick replies! We are in quite a complicated position. I took a ferry from santorini to Ios last year at about 11pm, which i remember was never on the schedule as I thought we would have to stay the night as our flight got in late in the afternoon. Not sure what the reason for that was (it came over an hour late from memory), but not sure I want to risk it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of ferry schedules

Michael, the schedules for the Seajet catamarans change every year. I think I know what you are referring to about last year. The Superjet did a very complicated route and spent a lot of nights at Ios with its last run just from Santorini to Ios and it didn't appear on any schedules originally. It's all change again this year.

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of ferry schedules

Ok thanks. That makes sense.

Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of ferry schedules

If you add up the cost of a taxi thrash across from the airport (and that still seems to be the subject of some confusion on prices) and seajets 28.50 euro cost, you could have a stay in Perissa for the night.

Still some accommodation with free transfers available,

www.booking.com/hotel/gr/maria-studio-s.en

Then take the Adamantios Korais ferry at 18.00 the next day (for 12 euros).

You'll be there in plenty of time for that nights activities!

Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of ferry schedules

booking.com/hotel/…maria-studio-s.en-gb.html

Essex
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of ferry schedules

Superjet is doing a similar route this July and August to the one it did last year so it's still possible that they might add that late-evening run to Ios onto its schedule. Check the schedules on GTP or Openseas at the beginning of July.

Get answers to your questions about Santorini