We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

Hi.

I am looking to come to Greece in August and have found some good deals to come to Santorini. Having done some research I realise that Santorini gets the Meltemi winds in August - should this put me off booking for Santorini and perhaps visit another Greek island? I can only travel in August due to working in education as we like to go for 2 weeks and therefore cannot look at changing the time we travel. If you would still recommend to come to Santorini in August could you please give me an idea of what Perissa and Kamari are both like? I am struggling to decide between the two as they both sound nice from their description and therefore some extra information about each resort would help me make my decision.

Many thanks in advance,

Marie

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

1 - Don't worry about the winds too much. To the best of my knowledge, they only really affect ferries if they're really strong. Santorini is a small island and it gets windy a lot of the time no matter when you go.

2 - Perissa and Kamari are the two main beach resorts on the SE side of the island. They are quite similar - a good mix of excellent quality of hotels, restaurants and bars. Of the two, I'd choose Perissa over Kamari any day - Kamari lovers will say the opposite.

Perissa is built along a very long black volcanic beach (grit, pebbles, no "sand" as such). It's quite laid back, more relaxing than Kamari.

Kamari is a lot more compacted so that it always seems a lot busier and a bit more manic. The beach is a lot smaller so consequently, it can seem like they're packing them on like sardines in a tin.

All in all, both very similar, but Perissa for me due to it being quieter and more relaxing.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

Thanks for your reply. I am quite pleased that you said to not be put off by the winds as I am quite looking forward to the idea of going to Santorini. Perhaps thought they might help with temporary relief from the hot weather too.

I am actually leaning towards Perissa so interesting to hear your thoughts.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

Also, the airport is quite close to Kamari (Perissa is on the other side of the mountain that separates the two villages.

OK, so it's not Heathrow, you don't get planes queuing up to land, but the airport will be at its busiest in August. People who stay in Kamari say that it's doesn't really affect them, but it's something else to add to the mix.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

Hi,

You get good deals on Santorini because not many people like it, no popular appeal, they try it once don't like it and that's it, a low proportion of repeat customers. It is one of the less popular islands you can fly to direct from UK. The reason is the dreadful black pebble/grit beaches.

Kamari Beach and Perissa are more or less identical modern Greek resorts. Differences are just not worth the key presses to detail.

The Meltemi wind is a feature of all Aegean islands in August, that's how it is. Island groups like the Ionion, Sporades have less strong winds.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

Blimey Retired_Hippy, what a negative view of Santorini. I know you're not too keen on the place, but you're moving into character assassination mode now lol.

<< no popular appeal, they try it once don't like it and that's it, a low proportion of repeat customers >>

II think you'll find that many people go back to Santorini year after year, just read through this forum to see how many repeat visitors the island gets (and not just people like me and other "experts").

<< Kamari Beach and Perissa are more or less identical modern Greek resorts. >>

A fair comment to a certain extent, but certainly not the "Costa del Greece" you've made them out to be in the past. Kavos, Faliraki they're most definitely not!

I disagree strongly with your opinions of Santorini, but your knowledge of how the ferries operate is second to none, and you'd certainly be the first person I'd come to for information on ferries and schedules.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

Wow, someone's pillow must have been lumpy last night!

Marie_derry, ignore the childish rantings. You'll love Santorini.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

We love everything about Santorini especially Perissa. Like Martin said, we know lots of people whohave returned many times. Most people you speak to are repeat travellers. We have just booked our 8th visit and know many people who have been many more times. The island has something for everyone so sure that you will enjoy it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

I agree with retired_hippy to some extent. I think Santorini is a place to go to see and look at the sites, but not a place to go back to. For me it is a place to use as a stepping stone to other islands. I still enjoy passing through the caldera on ferries though.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

I'm sorry GreeceMadUK and Retired Hippy, I'll have to go my own way on this.

Santorini will always be special to me as it was seeing pictures of it that gave me the travel bug. Since I still haven't seen all the places I want to, I'm (very) happy to return.

I appreciate there are many other islands to visit and I wish I could take a few months to do so, but I suppose that will either have to wait until I win the lottery or I'm retired myself.

It would be boring if we were all alike.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meltemi Winds and Resort Advice

IGNORE RETIRED HIPPY. Santorini is magical! While it may not have the powder soft sand beaches some people like (those are nice too), the beaches on Santorini are wild and beautiful and all have their own personality, just go with it. RH must like only the powder sand beaches. Besides, it's a stunning island without even considering the beaches. I've been to Santorini 7or 8 times and when I am looking over the caldera having my morning coffee, I'm amazed and feel privileged EVERY TIME.

I even like the tiny beach of rocks down at the old port of Armeni. Not so comfy but so specacular as an experience. Me and a carton of fresh figs, sitting down there ..... HEAVEN!