We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not the usual sunset question!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Not the usual sunset question!

Hi, we'll be there in late July so peak season and we have been before so my question is this.We'll have a rental car so are there any spectacular sunset views AWAY from the crowds at Oia where we could drive to and park up, enjoy the sunset for a while relatively peacefully and drive back to Firostefani where we are staying?Looking for anyone's secret spots or tips?!It doesnt have to be the sun sinking into the sea.Would somewhere like Pyrgos be high enough and have good vistas for instance?As I say, its doesnt have to be the 'normal' sunset that most crave whilst on the island.Heck just a lovely spot to enjoy a nice view.

Thanks for any suggestions

newcastle -upon-tyne
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

hi i have walked up to the top to the church in Pygros and to a vantage spot just up around the corner it is amazing whole island in view and also up to the monestery above Pygros where the airforce base is .althought they are not there it is a fantastic view...you can see whole island.... been told the sunset from there is amazing

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

Pyrgos is good. Franco's Bar is one place I've seen sunset from. Great cocktails at rather expensive prices.

Santo Winery has a good view, I believe. Never got there (always forget about it when I'm passing on the bus).

The lighthouse (faros) at the end of the Akrotiri peninsula. Careful if you go here, there's not much level space and I'd hate to see you slip. Its a long way down.

Or, if you're in Fira - there's the Art Café on the level below the Atlantis Hotel. tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g482942-…

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

If you're in Oia you can drive partway down the road to Amoudi until you find a spot you like. There's a turnoff into the ruins of the old quarry below the windmill at the Golden Sunset Villas. I've occasionally seen people going there in cars or motorbikes to watch the sunset but usually it's empty.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

Hi, as you will have a car, you will be able to drive down towards Akrotiri and along the road where you turn right there are a few spots where you can watch the sunset. There are a couple of tavernas, one I think is called Panorama or Panoramic View. It gives a different view of the sunset from Oia or Fira. But on the drive down there you might even see a nice quiet spot where you can just sit and watch in lovely solitude. Enjoy...

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

Thank you all for the suggestions, will look into them.Though sunloverrubys idea sounds tempting!Am I right in thinking that the area youre describing would kinda be near the top of the cliffs above the port of Athinios?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

Hi, the place I was thinking of is further down the road which runs towards Emborio and Perissa past the turning for Athinios port, through Imerovigli. You take the right hand turning at the signs for Akrotiri, and there are several places along that road, which give views of Oia as well, as it is on the bottom curve of the island (hope that makes sense, or you have a map to look at).

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

I think I know the places Sunloverruby is referring to - there's even a layby / viewing spot if I remember correctly.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

Hi again and thanks again.Looking at the map of the island that is often linked on this forum by the regulars, I think the general area you mean is around #16 "Junction to footpath".

Also that restaurant you mentioned, Panorama or Panoramic, seems to be a bit muddled on TA.The Restaurant section has, judging by the reviews, comments on two different places under the same name!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

Hi, Yes, that is the place on the map I was thinking about. I have probably got the name of the restaurant wrong, its a few years since I was there, but there are still some viewing places along the road, so I am sure you will find somewhere to watch the sunset, [and something to eat]. Enjoy your holiday...

Edited: 11 June 2014, 21:52
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not the usual sunset question!

The sunset from Pirgos is much nicer then from Oia in my opinion! From there you have a panoramic view and can see the east side of the island at the same time! Franco's is nice, but do walk all the way up to the castle and around.

Ingela