We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

Ireland
Level Contributor
733 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

Hello

We will be staying on Santorini for 5 nights/4 days. Looking at the cruise ship schedule during our stay (with the middle number being the number of passengers), what would be the best activities to do on 24 June and 25 June (9K pax - ouch!) to avoid the crowds. Our hotel is south of Fira (Lilium Santorini) and we will have a hire car. Arrival is 21 June - not much time to do activities but perhaps will check out Fira in the evening. Departing on 26 June.

What I am currently planning to do is a hike from Fira to Oia (22 June), beach day (Perissa/Kamari), another day touring the island (Pyrgos, Akrotiri ruins, another beach), boat trip (volcano, Thirassia) day.

21-Jun-14

22-Jun-14

23-Jun-14 2087 MSC Armonia

24-Jun-14 4725 Norwegian Jade, Serenade Of The Seas

25-Jun-14 9065 Splendour Of The Seas, MSC Fantasia, Celebrity Reflection

26-Jun-14 832 Insignia, Wind Star

Would be grateful for any advice on how to schedule best.

Larissa

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

<< A few thoughts further down. >>

We will be staying on Santorini for 5 nights/4 days. Looking at the cruise ship schedule during our stay (with the middle number being the number of passengers), what would be the best activities to do on 24 June and 25 June (9K pax - ouch!) to avoid the crowds. Our hotel is south of Fira (Lilium Santorini) and we will have a hire car. Arrival is 21 June - not much time to do activities but perhaps will check out Fira in the evening. Departing on 26 June.

<< Don't let the crowds bother you. I dont think its any worse than Oxford Street on a Saturday. Relax, take your time, do a little people watching and remember, it's your holiday, too. >>

What I am currently planning to do is a hike from Fira to Oia (22 June),

<< start early, wear sturdy shoes, carry lots of water and have plenty of sun screen and hats. There's no shade on the route. Usually takes about 2.5-3 hours. >>

beach day (Perissa/Kamari),

<<. Combine a few things on this day (or the next). Drive to Perissa and then hike up towards Ancient Thera. View ruins and then hike down the Kamari side. Look around this resort, then take water taxi back to Perissa and collect car.

You can drive halfway up to Ancient Thera on the Kamari side, but then you'd up to climb back to to where you'd left the car.

Consider finishing the day with a visit to the open air cinema just outside Kamari.

www.cinekamari.gr >>

another day touring the island (Pyrgos, Akrotiri ruins, another beach), boat trip (volcano, Thirassia) day.

<< you could try and arrive at the Akrotiri diggings when it opens (8.00am). If you're lucky, there won't be any early cruise ship coaches and you may have it to yourself for awhile (I did last May).

Avoid Red Beach at the moment. It's been subject to rock falls and is unsafe to visit.

You could then head to Pyrgos and look around there. Lunch at Aegialos Beach, perhaps.

www.aegialos-beach.com

Although, Galini between Kamari and Monolithos is very good. >>

This leaves June 25 free if you want to book a volcano tour.

If you want to visit Thirassia independently, look at the separate Thirassia forum (I can't link at the moment).

Hope this helps for a start.

Ireland
Level Contributor
733 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

Kennydone - Thank you for the tips. These are most useful.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

Yes, great tips by kennydon!

I would avoid Fira and Oia the 25th and do other things that day. Like Kennodon suggests, Pirgos, Akrotiri early, maybe boat to white beach from there and Vlichada beach is a must only to see the rock formations!

The beach in front of the tavern Aegialos is also good and you may walk to the next beach (to the right of Exo Gialos and after the small port with the swans) along the beach if you want to be alone. Then a lunch at Aegialos!

For other things to do. you can read through my Santorini Trip Ideas: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i36651-Santorin…

Enjoy!!

Ingela

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

Just curious, where did you find the Santorini cruise schedule? Now I'm curious what the cruise ship traffic will be like when I am there in October.

thanks!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

…cruisett.com/schedule/…805-santorini_island

There are other sites available too

Toronto
Level Contributor
400 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

We were just in Santorini - staying in laid back Imerovigli - we left yesterday. There were cruise ships everyday. I watched them arrive around 6 am. We walked to Fira two different days & it was slammed but you just have to grin & bear it. We went to Akrotiri mid-afternoon around 3:30pm & practically had the place to ourselves. While we did not go to Red Beach, the locals that we talked to did not know about any closing & I specifically asked . . . fwiw

Ian

Ireland
Level Contributor
733 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

Great advice everyone. We will try to avoid Fira and Oia on the busy days and go to Akrotiri early or later in the dat.

Many thanks!

8. Re: Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule & Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:15