We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free food at Santorini

1 post
Save Topic
Gluten free food at Santorini

Hi all,

I'm going to Kamari, Santorini in July. I was there last year as well and enjoyed it so much. However, since last fall I'm on a gluten free diet due to stomach problems. Does anyone have tips on eating gluten free during my stay? As I can recall from last year, most meals were not gluten free. We will be staying in Kamari. So if anyone has tips on good restaurant (last year we ate mostly at Bellonias Villas) or knows about (organic) markets where I can go to buy my own food, please let me know!

Thank you very much in advance!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free food at Santorini

I used the search facility to look for the words "gluten free" and these topics came up

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchForums?ff=245&geo=189433&scope=2&q=gluten+free&pid=34633&s=D

Change the "sort by" criteria from relevance to date

Edited: 18 June 2014, 10:20
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free food at Santorini

I have found over a good number of years that the Greek Islands are wonderful in catering for gf. I have coeliac disease and carry a Greek dietary card. Www.dietarycard.co.uk (I think) says something like : I cannot eat food containing barley, oats, wheat & rye or any derivatives. If I eat these it will make me poorly. Please help me choose from the menu. I have never been 'glutened' anywhere in Greece. Just hand card to waiter in any taverna and it's sorted. They even remember if you return. Well worth the small cost.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
96 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free food at Santorini

Did you find any information on gluten free in Santorini please, as we are also going soon and my fiancee is coeliac? thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free food at Santorini

To be honest, because the tavernas cater so well, I have never looked. Just pack my own bread, and maybe some crackers to make lunch with local cheeses and that's it. I find a lot of gf food in supermarkets pretty grim, so try and avoid them anyway. Have a great holiday. Just a thought too. People shouldn't underestimate the dietary card as it does state these foods can make us Ill which is important in the current climate of fad gluten free diets for weight loss. Xx

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
96 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free food at Santorini

thanks alot for the information provided :)

6. Re: Gluten free food at Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:17