We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day two stops, 6 hours is it doable?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
One day two stops, 6 hours is it doable?

Hi,

We're coming from crete on the ferry and we're really hoping to see Oia and the Akrotiri archaeological site. Is this doable in the time we'll have? We will rent a car in Crete should we drive that over on the ferry? Just not sure how long things my take. I know there is a ton more to see but we'll only have the one day and we're trying to prioritize. If that is enough time could we also squeeze in the black beach?

Emily

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day two stops, 6 hours is it doable?

If you have a car, visiting both Akrotiri and Oia should be possible. The black beaches are OK, but I wouldn't rush out of my way to visit them.

However, you need to check with your car hire company that you're allowed to take your car only the ferry. Many companies won't permit this and you'll invalidate your insurance if you do it.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One day two stops, 6 hours is it doable?

It's a lot cheaper just to rent a car when you arrive. Spiridakos Rent A Car has an office at the port and they have a website. It will be a challenge but you can see Akrotiri and Oia. They're on opposite ends of the island and the port is between them. Akrotiri is closest.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day two stops, 6 hours is it doable?

Even if you car rental company allows this, note that taking a car on the ferry costs 58-69 euros one way hellenicseaways.gr/files/navlologia/2014/en/…

Seajets ferry is even more expensive in this regard (75 euros for a small car, one way). Renting locally is going to be much cheaper, even going everywhere by taxi will probably be cheaper

Edited: 22 June 2014, 08:27
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One day two stops, 6 hours is it doable?

Be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required. Bring 2 passport photos with you to save a few dollars.

5. Re: One day two stops, 6 hours is it doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:16