We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Hi TA - Planning our Santorini itinerary and one of our days we would like to see the Akrotiri ruins and go to Perisa or Kamari beach.

Is it is possible to take a bus from Firostefani to the Akrotiri ruins and then on to either Perisa or Kamari beach? Or, take a bus from Firostefani to Perisa or Kamari beach and then to the Akrotiri ruins? For the return trip to Firostefani, are there direct buses back to Firostefani from either of the beaches or Akrotiri? If so, can anyone tell me the bus routes we need to take? How often do the buses run these routes?

Also, what is the average amount of time spent at the Akrotiri ruins? Are taxis accessible at the beaches and the Akrotiri ruins if we decide to take a taxi?

As always - many thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Akrotiri
Akrotiri
Santorini, Greece
Kamari Beach
Kamari Beach
5,048 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Firostefani
Firostefani
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Buses all depart from Fira. If you're staying in Firostefani you can easily walk to the bus terminus in 15 minutes. The bus to Akrotiri is not the same bus you will take to the beaches. If you decide that walking from Fira to Firostefani is too far you will take the bus going from Fira to Oia and get off in Firostefani. Taxis are of course available.

ktel-santorini.gr/ktel/images/pdfs/ktel.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Firostefani
Firostefani
Santorini, Greece
Akrotiri
Akrotiri
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,473 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

I spent about three hours at Akrotiri last May as I had the place to myself for the first 25 minutes and with only a few others for the rest of the first hour. I arrived at opening time at 8.00 a.m. By the time I left about 11.00 a.m., it was packed. Do some reading in advance as the signage could be improved (i.e., there's not that much).

odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2410

There are 'usually' a taxi or two outside the entrance*. However, the bus stop is right outside. Alternatively, you could walk down to Akrotiri Beach a couple of hundred metres away and if you turn right, there are some lovely waterside tavernas.

If you want to go to Perissa from Akrotiri, ask your conductor to let you off at the junction where the Akrotiri peninsula meets the main road to the beach. Then find the bus stop going in the correct direction and flag down the next (public) bus that comes along.

Here's a map of the island. The junction is close to where the petrol pump is indicated. http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

Its also good to combine a visit to Akrotiri with a stop at the Museum of Prehistoric Thira which has many artefacts discovered at the diggings (closed on Mondays). santonet.gr/museums/prehistoric_museum.htm

* Also outside the entrance to the diggings is usually a chap with a fruit stall. Great opportunity to get some fresh watermelon (among other things). He'll chop it into smaller chunks for you if you want.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 09:50
Mentioned in this post
Akrotiri
Akrotiri
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Hotel Thira and Apartments
Hotel Thira and...
211 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
508 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Just returned from Santorini a few days ago, and found that hiring a car was very helpful in covering some of the sites (Akrotiri, and the nearby Red Beach) as also other places of interest like Perissa or the villages (which would require hopping buses at fira, as these arent on the same route) easily

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Akrotiri
Akrotiri
Santorini, Greece
Red Beach
Red Beach
4,484 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Thank you brotherleelove, kennydon and anuj! The bus route map is perfect! Will come in handy I am sure! I am considering renting a car but am not sure yet. How is driving in Santorini? P.S. Thanks for the waterlmelon tip! Have to try it!!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

If you think you might rent a car be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required. Bring 2 passport photos to save a few dollars.

(FYI- Watermelon = kar-POO-zee)

Edited: 01 July 2014, 08:34
New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Thanks, Brotherleelove - Do they give you the license on the spot at AAA?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Yes. It's very quick if you bring your own photos. The last time I bought one it was $20.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Thanks again! How are the roads, twists and turns and drivers there? I hear that it is a bit crazy to drive there, but I guess maybe not as less hectic as New York..

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

To my way of judging the roads the only section that takes extra caution is the main road between imerovigli and Oia but you can bypass it by using the secondary road on the low side of Imerovigli instead. When you are heading towards Oia and come to Imerovigli you will go down a steep grade. At the bottom of the grade you turn left for the main road or go straight to get to the secondary road.

This map will help you get the idea of the roads: http://www.santoriniweb.com/map.pdf

Yesterday someone posted that Google Maps has now included Santorni in its "Street View".

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Imerovigli
Imerovigli
Santorini, Greece
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus to Firostefani to Akrotiri ruins to Perisa/Kamari Beach

Many of the roads do twist and turn. They can also get busy with tourists in rental cars, on scooters and on quad bikes. The locals can, and do, get frustrated with all of the tourist vehicles and they can, and do, take risks - overtaking on hills, bends etc., often while drinking coffee and talking on their mobiles and with any other people in the car at the same time.

Take your time, keep your wits about you and you should be fine. At least coming from the US, you're used to driving on the right hand side of the road.