We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
576 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

My wife and I will be flying in to Santorini from Athens on October 19. I am wondering if you guys recommend to take on the public bus or hire a car to do sightseeing in the island. If taking the public bus, is the bus route frequent in October?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

The bus won't have as many buses in October as it does in July, that is true.

However, it goes to most of the popular places (Oia, Kamari, Perissa, Pyrgos, Akrotiri, etc.). So, unless you want somewhere off the beaten track, the bus should be OK. It will depend on where you want to go and at what times of the day.

This is the current Summer timetable - there won't be as many as in October, but it will give you an idea of where the buses go to: ktel-santorini.gr/ktel/…timetable-summer-eng

http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
576 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

#1 kennydon London

Places you mentioned are exactly the places we wanted to see including Imerovigli. We are staying for 3 days in Santorini in most probability, residing in Fira (or close to). I am thinking, since we are arriving at the airport around 6AM, that we would take the bus to our hotel and then take the bus on the first day. We will have the option of renting a car for the succeeding days if we need to go "off the beaten path" that are not so accessible by bus. Does that work?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

Should do.

Take a look at Ingela's list of ideas: tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i36651-Santor…

Apparently Mama's House just off the main square (aka the road that leads to Oia - it just widens slightly for the 'square') is known for their breakfasts. Assuming you can't get into your hotel upon arrival.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g482942-…

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
576 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

#3 kennydon London

Wonderful map link you sent us for Santorini. Thanks.

Very good information on Ingela's list of ideas link. Would consider this link to source for our hotel, etc.

Mama's house would be on our list for breakfast and maybe for other local greek food and drinks?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

Would consider this link to source for our hotel, etc.

================

Sorry, I don't understand this. If you haven't already booked a hotel - quickly hop onto www.booking.com and use their filter system for the various villages and prices. The island is rumoured to be fully booked for up to four months this year, so availability may not be plentiful. Although, hopefully by when you arrive it could be OK.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
576 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

#5 kennydon London

I saw links for "where to stay in Santorini" and links for hotels, in Ingela list of ideas. . . That is what I meant by I want to consider looking into this link. However, I am just like you, I book our hotels through booking.com

Yeah, I am hopeful, for hotel vacancies in October. After all, it is the beginning of "off season".

7. Re: Sightseeing - Bus or Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 06:17