We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I really need a car?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Do I really need a car?!

I have never driven abroad before - and really don't want to have a car for the whole trip. However we are staying in akrotiri which I believe is quite far from the main areas - is there much to do in terms of bars etc round there - I've heard taxis are hard to come by?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I really need a car?!

It depends on where in Akrotiri you're staying.

The Akrotiri peninsula stretches for a few miles and if your hotel is near the village, diggings or the beach (where the bus stops before it returns to Fira) - i.e., on the bus route itself, then you should be OK without a car for visiting the main villages.

However, if your hotel is past the village - towards the faros (lighthouse) - then you'll either need to walk to the village, assuming its close enough to do so (and some hotels are quite a way down), or it's taxis.

Just keep in mind that even in high summer, the last bus departing Fira is 9.00 pm. After that, you will need to rely on taxis.

I'm afraid I don't know what the price of a taxi between Akrotiri-Fira costs.

If you let us know where you're staying, we can perhaps let you know if you're on the bus route.

2. Re: Do I really need a car?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:17