We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

taiwan
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

Hello everyone, we will be in santorini on Oct. 4-6. Can someone help me arrange my last day itinerary. We will rent a car on that day to visit these places. Will leave hotel in Imerovigli around 10:30am. My original plan according from the first stop to the last stop.

1. Akotiri – see Archaeological excavations, the lighthouse, the Red beach, White beach.

2. Pyrgos - see kasteli castle and Monastery of prophet elias

3. Ancient Thira

4. Kamari beach

5. Mesa Gonia - see Church of Panagia Episkopi

6. Santorini airport – flight time – 20:25 – 21:10

Is this ok ? Does someone have a better driving route or idea ? Is this route safe ? how many minutes/hours in between attractions ? Is it easy to find ? thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

You're going to have to reconsider and reorder things. You've got too many things for your last day and October 6 is a Monday when most museums are closed - this includes Ancient Thera.

Also check about Akrotiri. It's been open daily over summer, but I don't know if that extends to October. If it doesn't, it will revert to being closed on a Monday.

Red Beach has been subject to rockfalls and is subsequently unsafe to visit.

White Beach is only accessible to reach via boat (unless you're a mountain goat) and, frankly, it's a cove with grey/white cliffs behind it, a rocky bed h and no facilities.

If your flight is an international one, you'll need to arrive at least two hours before, so be heading there by 18.00 at the latest. More if you need to return your hire car.

Let us know what you've got planned on your other days and where you're staying (village ir hotel) and we can suggest a more logical itinerary.

taiwan
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

Thanks for the advise Kennydon, have to change my plan. We'll be arriving via seajet around 15:10. Hotel is in Imerovigli.

1st day - Walk around Imerovigli and Firostefani. But plan to go1st to Firostefani then back to Imerovigli for sunset. how big is this town? can we manage 2 hrs for each town? What time is sunset?

2nd day - rent a car.

1. Akotiri – are there any other place to see aside from the excavations ? I understand the relics are displayed in the museum loc. in Fira. which is it worth seeing... the excavations or relics ?

2. Pyrgos - see kasteli castle and Monastery of prophet elias ( I think it takes about 1 hr to get here...but not sure? Is it worth it?

3. Ancient Thira - some says its safer to come in from kamari instead of perissa. however, I think if we're going to the monastery of elias in pyrgos, it seems that the road also connects to ancient thira, but not sure which one is safer and convenient road to take. After pyrgos and monastery of elias, do I need to go to kamari in order to go to ancient thira or just go straight to ancient thira after monastery?

4. Kamari beach - we wont stay long here, just want to see and stroll for a few minutes.

6. Sailing excursion from the Vlychada port for the sunset - not yet sure if we can make it or meet them on time for the excursion. what time does the sun sets during Oct. ? If ever we can make it, it will be 5-4-3-2-1, in that order as above coz its nearest to the vlychada port. If not - Drive to Oia and see sunset.

3rd day - check out hotel at 10am.

1. Fira - volcano tour at the old port (2 hrs), are there any other place to see here in Fira? Is the aegean view from Fira the same for imerovigli and oia ???

2. Oia - go to ammoudi port; how big is this town to walk around?

3. Thirasia - I understand there are boats at the oia port, but not yet sure on the time schedules? where do you suggest we visit here?

4. Back to Imerovigli to get our luggages and go to airport

5. Return the car and Flight is 20:25 going to athens. Is there a gas station near airport for refueling?

Sorry for the tons of questions, I need help badly, coz I still have to plan my turkey itinerary after this, anyway, What do you think ?

Thanks in advance.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

Here's a few more thoughts and suggestions for your further research:

1st day - Walk around Imerovigli and Firostefani. But plan to go1st to Firostefani then back to Imerovigli for sunset. how big is this town? can we manage 2 hrs for each town? What time is sunset?

<< Nether Imerovigli or Firastefani are large - I'd say one hour each would be plenty, unless you find a restaurant you want to sit down and relax at. You've got plenty of time to walk to Fira and look around there and still get back to your hotel for sunset. Alternatively, visit Oia for sunset this evening.

Sunset - check www.timeanddate.com >>

2nd day - rent a car.

1. Akrotiri – are there any other place to see aside from the excavations ? I understand the relics are displayed in the museum loc. in Fira. which is it worth seeing... the excavations or relics ?

<< Both are worth seeing for different aspects to show the 'whole'. Personally, I like the Museum of Prehistoric Fira. It's a good idea to combine with a visit to the diggings. Akrotiri itself isn't particularly well signposted. I spent three hours there last May, but many more will have a shorter stay - I had it to myself for the first 25 minutes and the atmosphere was amazing.

The Museum in Fira has many artefacts discovered at Akrotiri and, last time I was there, whilst there wasn't any guidebook (or at Akrotiri), but you can take photos, without a flash. Be aware that some exhibits, such as the wall mosaics are reproductions. The originals having been moved to Athens. They're still striking to look at though. >>

2. Pyrgos - see kasteli castle and Monastery of prophet elias ( I think it takes about 1 hr to get here...but not sure? Is it worth it?

<< Pyrgos is a lovely, small village which is worth a look, but it won't take up too much of your time.

Read here about hiking to prophet elias:

www.summitpost.org/santorini/188847 >>

3. Ancient Thira - some says its safer to come in from kamari instead of perissa. however, I think if we're going to the monastery of elias in pyrgos, it seems that the road also connects to ancient thira, but not sure which one is safer and convenient road to take. After pyrgos and monastery of elias, do I need to go to kamari in order to go to ancient thira or just go straight to ancient thira after monastery?

<< To the best of my knowledge, you can't drive between prophet elias and Kamari. It's only a hiking path.

For Ancient Thera, you can drive halfway up from Kamari - lots of switchbacks. Look on Youtube to see what I mean.

You can hike from the Perissa side, but it takes between 35-45 minutes each way. >>

4. Kamari beach - we wont stay long here, just want to see and stroll for a few minutes.

<< Be prepared to drop this location if time is short. >>

6. Sailing excursion from the Vlychada port for the sunset - not yet sure if we can make it or meet them on time for the excursion. what time does the sun sets during Oct. ? If ever we can make it, it will be 5-4-3-2-1, in that order as above coz its nearest to the vlychada port. If not - Drive to Oia and see sunset.

<< If your hotel has a caldera view, there's really no need to go to Oia for the sunset. Imerovigli has the highest view of the caldera villages and will be much less frenetic than Oia, even in October. You're repeating yourself if you've had a sunset sailing tour. But, your choice. >>

3rd day - check out hotel at 10am.

1. Fira - volcano tour at the old port (2 hrs), are there any other place to see here in Fira? Is the aegean view from Fira the same for imerovigli and oia ???

<. As said earlier, I'd view Fira on your first day.

Yes, the view from Fira, Imerovigli and Oia are similar. Oia has the most traditional architecture and no power cables to block your view. >>

2. Oia - go to ammoudi port; how big is this town to walk around?

<< Ammoudi Harbour consists of approximately four tavernas and one or two shops selling sundries.

There is a concrete platform 10 minutes walk from the restaurants with the best swimming on the island, but you've got to allow time to climb the stairs to Oia and return to Imerovigli for your bags before the airport.

Personally, I wouldn't do a caldera tour on your last day because if you swim in the 'hot springs' - usually lukewarm and smelling of sulphur, you've got damp bathing suits and nowhere to wash yourself since you've already checked out of your hotel. >>

3. Thirasia - I understand there are boats at the oia port, but not yet sure on the time schedules? where do you suggest we visit here?

<< there are boats between Ammoudi (the port at the base of Oia) and Riva (the northern end of Thirassia), three times a day. Check the Thirassia forum (via the Cyclades forum and dropdown) for the boat times. This for accessing Thirassia independently, not via a volcano tour. >>

4. Back to Imerovigli to get our luggages and go to airport

5. Return the car and Flight is 20:25 going to athens. Is there a gas station near airport for refueling?

<< I've never hired a car on the island, so I've not noted where the gas stations are located. >>

Sorry for the tons of questions, I need help badly, coz I still have to plan my turkey itinerary after this, anyway, What do you think ?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

You can use this map to help you locate the villages and attractions on the island:

http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

taiwan
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

Kennydon, thanks for your advise and for the link, it helped me a lot, coz it gave me an idea what the roads look like and where it leads. Thanks again

6. Re: Pls help arrange driving route to visit attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:17