We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

M W
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

So we arrive in Santorini in a few hours... And the airline lost our luggage and won't have it to us for two days into our trip. Any suggestions where my husband and I could find the most reasonably priced swim suits? And cosmetics for me?

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

Fira is the main shopping hub and will give you the best choice, although "reasonably priced" is a bit of a relative term.

Wherever you stay will have a range of shops with swimwear, cosmetics and other items, but you could try one of the bigger supermarkets too, they tend to sell just about everything and *may* be cheaper than dedicated shops in the resorts, but don't quote me on that.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,490 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

As Bigsnitch has said, Fira is the largest town. If you let us know where you're staying, perhaps we can offer a little more specific advise for some resorts.

First of all - you REALLY don't need to worry about cosmetics. Sunscreen is a must. If you really can't do without - some blusher and lippy (and maybe mascara) if you have to. But, relax and I know you'll will look fine without.

There's a couple of chemists on the main street in Fira (near Lucky's gyros), that may have the likes of Elemis, etc.

There is a place in Fira that sells 100% cotton sarongs (no pattern) for about €6-7 (used to be €5). Whole range of colours. This is in the maze of streets and near the smallish shopping centre. Unfortunately, my internet doesn't want to help and won't let me search any shop names.

Beach towels are around €5-9 each, depending on size and where you get them from. May be cheaper at the beach resorts. I haven't visited the main (large) supermarket, so can't answer as to their prices.

Shoes - heels are a health risk on Santorini due to the uneven streets, some cobblestones and large number of steps around the place. Flats are the way to go.

If you're in Perissa, there's a lady on the beach road nearest the mountain who does lovely leatherwork, including handmade sandals. The shop has a yellow sign outside it. Lots of handbags also in many colours.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,490 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

Well, the Fira shopping centre I was talking about is called Hondos. Their website is worse than useless as I the map doesn't even have it correctly pinpointed. The shopping hours (assuming they're up-to-date) are:

M-F 9:30-14:30/17:00-20:00; S 10:00-14:30/17:00-20:00

http://www.hondos.gr/en/stores/56

Going by this link to the Hondos Center, you won't lack for choice of swim suits:

santorini365.com/shopping-in-santorini/hondos

Edited: 27 August 2014, 10:40
Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
M W
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

Thank you, thank you both! Much appreciated :) we're going to try to make the best of this and laugh it all off. And hopefully we'll get some compensation from the airline for all these new purchases! We're staying in imerovigli by the way.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,490 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

Take a wander (either walk or bus) down to Fira and get your essentials, such as sunscreen, swimming costumes, toothpaste and 'underneathies', etc. - remember to keep all the receipts for your claim. Then you can start relaxing and enjoy your vacation.

Of course, if you'd elected to visit a 'naturist' resort - then lost luggage wouldn't be a problem :) But, Santorini isn't that sort of place. Whilst its casual it isn't THAT casual.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

dear usually you must to take your luggage tomorrow!! don't wait to call you , tomorrow about noon call them in santorini airport, tell about it your hotel

7. Re: Help, lost luggage, need swim suit and cosmetics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:16