We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Hopping

Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Topic
Island Hopping

We are family of three adults looking into planning a island hopping tour 18 days in June or July 2015. We are quite flexible. What's the best option to book with a travel agency or book on our own.

Transfers ( ferry, taxi, flights ) between the islands is it easier to book and with what companies ( Aegean Airline, High Speed ferry)?

Suggested times to spend on each island

Our plan is:

arrival in Athens (1 night)

Crete is it doable? (I've read that we need 2 weeks in Crete - perhaps a separate vacation)

transfer to Rhodes (flight)?

Rhodes -3/4 nights?

Transfer to Santorini (flight or ferry)?

Santorini - 5 nights ?

Transfer to Naxos (ferry)

Naxos 3 nights?

Transfer to Mykonos (ferry)

Mykonos 3 nights

Transfer to Athens (ferry)?

Athens 2-3 nights?

Also we have to include at the end of our trip 1 week in Thessaloniki where we will stay a 1 week and meet some friends.

Can you please gime me some suggestions if you reccomend other islands and how long should we stay instead of ones I've listed?

Thank you

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Hopping

Before you go too much further, please head to the Greece forum and read the two 'stickies' at the top of the page entitled 'Possible pitfalls when planning an island itinerary' and '“FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions for Greece and the Islands”.

Both of which have a wealth of information.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Hopping

If you decide to go to Crete or Rhodes, do just after arrival Athens. it is only a short flight when you already are at the airport. You save time and money by doing so.

You will find flights between Crete (Heraklion or Sitia) and Rhodes

Ferries from Heraklion to Santorini is frequent, at least one every day.

Ferries Rhodes to Santorini only some days a week.

Ferries Santorini to Naxos and Naxos to Mykonos several times a day.

Ferry from Mykonos to Pireus or Rafina several times a day. Rafina is closer to the airport if you decide to fly to Thessaloniki .

Flights http://en.aegeanair.com/ or http://www.skyexpress.gr/en-us/home.aspx

Ferries www.gtp.gr

Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Hopping

Thanks for your reply.

22 days Itinerary enough for Cyclades Island hopping?

I’ve read the forums and looks like we need at least 1 week in Crete. Modified itinerary looks as follow:

Athens

Santorini

Mykonos

Naxos

Thessaloniki

Athens

Mid June 2015 arrive 10:00am in Athens

Athens hotel 3 nights (is it enough to vie only 2-3 points of interest?)

Where to stay near Syntagma metro station? Please advise where is a nice area to stay not very expensive max 100/night within walking distance to main points of interests i.e. Acropolis , museum of archeology etc)

Athens to Santorini ( flight?) please advise)

Santorini 5 nights (is it too much? Thira or Imerovigli - want a nice hotel with caldera view. Bus - is it a bus to White or Red Beach? )

Santorini to Mykonos (by ferry? How many hours will be the transfer?

Mykonos - 4 nights

Mykonos accommodation (Where to stay if I want to be relatively close to town and sandy beaches. Budget for hotel 150/night max)

Mykonos to Naxos ( ferry how long 2-3 hours? What ferry goes to Naxos Highspeed 5…on the main website of ferry routes I can’t find anything for June July next year. I have no clue houw could I plan without knowing the times and days are they sailing.) Rent a car or take the bus to various points of interest and see some other beaches?

Naxos 4 nights (Where is the best place to stay to be near town and sandy beaches. I don't mind to walk or take the bus. Budget 100/per night max)

Naxos to Thessaloniki (ferry, flight? )

TRANSFER to Thessaloniki .......Please advise on how to transfer to Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki 5 nights

Transfer to Athens by train or flight? ( I've seen Ryan Air has 25-40 euros/per person)

Athens fly back home

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Hopping

<< Bus - is it a bus to White or Red Beach? >>

The White Beach is only accessible from the sea if my knowledge serves me correctly.

The Red Beach is close to Akrotiri, but it's very dangerous as there are frequent rock falls and people have been injured this year. People are advised to avoid going there.

I'm exhausted just reading your planned itinerary!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Hopping

As stated, Red Beach has suffered from rock falls and you visit at your own risk. Apart from the colour of the cliff behind, there's nothing much of interest there.

White Beach is only accessible via a water taxi. Even less facilities than Red Beach - no toilets or deck chairs and a very rocky beach. Again, it's only unique feature is the cliff behind.

Please read the 'things to do' tab at the top of the page for further sights / attractions on Santorini. There's much more to it than a sunset and a volcano.

It's generally considered best to leave Athens to last so you don't have worries about flight / ferries delays prior to an international flight.

If you haven't already, I'd post this on the Greece forum so others can add their views.

Mine is its very rushed.

Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Hopping

Should I wait until spring to book for mid June the ferries? So far there is nothing listed on ferries schedule for next year.

Ferry from Santorini to Mykonos - how long?

Mykonos to Naxos ferry how long?

How can I get from Naxos to Thessaloniki?

22 days is enough for Athens, Santorini, Myknos, Naxos, Thessaloniki?

Thanks

Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Hopping

Can you give me some advice on itinerary nothing is scheduled yet , but only the airfare home to Athens and from Athens to home. I am flexible to re-planned my island hopping. THe only thing that I have to be in Thessaloniki at the end of June beginning of July .

Thanks

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Hopping

Mid-june is mid season and no need to pre-booking ferries.

Naxos to Thessaloniki is via Athens.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Hopping

Kennydon,

There is no need to post separately on the main Greece forum. Any post in any subforum is also automatically displayed in the main Greece forum.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Hopping

BTW: It is also automatically displayed in all upper levels - post in Santorini forum and it is also displayed in the Cyclades forum and the main Greece forum.