We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How important is a pool?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
How important is a pool?

I am just curious to see what others think. I loooove sitting by a pool, however, I specifically didn't book a hotel with a pool because I know we would never venture out and enjoy what the island has to offer. I would rather spend more time exploring the local beaches and swimming in the beautiful sea.

What is your opinion?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How important is a pool?

I agree, I'd rather swim in the sea, but there are times when a pool would be very welcome. After returning from the beach in mid-summer it would be great to be able to cool off after the long walk or bus ride. Being a devotee of swimming on "The Rock" below Oia, the climb back up the stairs always leaves me hot , sweaty and salty. Being able to plunge into a cool, fresh-water pool upon return to my hotel would be sheer heaven. A shower feels great too, but it's just not the same. And then there are those inevitable days when I'm seduced by the warmth and the view and I'm too lazy to budge. Reading a novel out by the pool where I can jump in to cool off sounds pretty good on a day like that,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How important is a pool?

hi.

i always search for a hotel with a pool everywhere i go.i also go around the places i visit but for me a pool among other things in a hotel are a must.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How important is a pool?

I think it may depend on how long you are staying on the island. We booked a hotel with a pool as we thought it was important, but we only had 3 days and by the time we explored the island for the whole 3 days we had no time at all for the pool. However if you were staying for longer there would be more time to relax by the pool.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How important is a pool?

Hi

We usually try to book somewhere with a pool. It is very handy for an early morning dip especially if we had a few beers the previous evening.

We love swimming in the sea though but some beaches don't have showers, to wash the salt off which means you end up sweltering and possibly burning. We like the best of both - like someone else has written, for early morning or early evening dips, you can't beat a pool. But that would never stop us from thoroughly exploring wherever we were. A pool is an added bonus.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How important is a pool?

I think it probably depends on where you are staying but I would say that a pool is a must. I'm not a big swimmer but we were in our hotel pool every evening either after a day at the beach or travelling around sightseeing.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How important is a pool?

Wouldn't it depend on when you're traveling?

If traveling when it's hot, I'd say it's a necessity.

But me, I'm going to be there mid-October, when there's a chance the pool (and the cost that went toward it) will be wasted ... because as I've been told, the pools are not heated. So if it's chilly, it would go to waste.

I'd rather swim in the sea anyway!!

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How important is a pool?

Hi haroula ,

a pool is a modern way to enjoy swimming ,

where the location , climate or many other reasons keep you away from the real thing...

At least this is the way I see it...

Being a Greek but also a sportsman in swimming , I have experienced both ways and there is nothing to compare including the mouvements of your body to stay on the water or moving...

I find it much easier for someone who doesn't know how to swim to learn in a sea water than in a pool.....

About santorini , pool came over as a luxury tool , because of the caldera location away from the beach..

Otherwise is useless to stay in , as you properly said....

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1121-Follow_th…

8. Re: How important is a pool?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 15:18