We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamari, July - Please advise!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kamari, July - Please advise!

Hi!

My boyfriend and I have just booked the Seaside Apartments in Kamari for 2 weeks in July.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this establishment? It's on the promenade?

Also, generally, I'd really appreciate some opinions on Kamari and Santorini in general, along the lines of: trips and excursions, eating out, beaches, value for money, nighlife, general type of tourists there, etc.

We are looking for a destination with great beaches, restaurants, shopping, and plently of excursions and sightseeing, but nothing too rowdy or Club 18-30ish - so hopefully we will find this in Santorini!!

Many thanks! Eve

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,986 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

Santorini's beaches are a big disappointment to many visitors, as they are black/red volcanic rock or grit, not soft white sand. The water is excellent, but the actual beaches leave some sunworshippers wanting more. The black sand gets very hot in July so bring protective foot covering, flip-flops or rubber-soled reef walkers. Kamari Beach is a thriving resort beach lined with affordable small hotels just a short walk to the sea. There are plenty of restaurants and shops to keep you busy for a few days. The island bus system is excellent. Frequent buses to the main bus square in Fira will help you explore the rest of the island. "Water taxis" will connect you with other nearby beaches. There are excursions by boat into the caldera to visit the new volcano, watch the sunset, take a dip in the volcano hot springs and make a stop on Therassia, the small island on the other side of the caldera. Romantic sunset cruises are also offered. Any travel agency on the island will help you set it up. The most active nightlife is in the main village of Fira. There are discos, single's bars, jazz bars, lots of restaurants and shops selling everything from sunscreen and postcards to exquisite gold jewelry. Buses back to Kamari stop running early and taxis get scarce after midnight, so plan accordingly. Tourists coming to Santorini range from celebrities to college-age backpackers to honeymooning newlyweds or those getting married with the assistance of one of many professional wedding planners on the island. There are some interesting historical sites on the island as well as a couple of small museums. The small villages of Firostefani and Imerovigli provide convenient access (walking-distance) to all that Fira offers. The most beautiful village of Oia is 7 miles from Fira on the north tip of the island. It's much quieter there. Nightlife is limited to the restaurants and shops, a few quiet bars and one venue for traditional Greek music and dance, Santorini Mou. Below Oia (ee-yah) is Ammoudi, a small fisherman's wharf where you can sit and enjoy a meal at Katina's Fish Taverna, or take a walk to the end of the seawall to what I consider the best swimming on the island. Lay out on the large rocks or swim across the narrow 100 ft. channel to the cement platform on the little volcanic rock island for the best sea-level view of the caldera you can find.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

For nightlife I've enjoyed, been there two times, The bars of the Boat House and Arion Bay, both on the water at the north of Kamari. George, the owner of the Boat House & bartender, will be glad to fill you in on the history and the culture of the people of Santorini. And Elias, his nephew(?) who bartends at Arion Bay can turn any group of customers into one big happy family. I'm sure other hotels are bartenders a just as friendly and as much fun but since you asked I thought this would help.

Ramsbottom
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

I love Kamari.. if you try the local supermarket near Lolo's taverna the owner there named Artemis will deliver your goods for you for free (providing you buy a reasonable amount). Not bad if you are buying lots of water, wine or beer which can get quite heavy. We stock up on our arrival and it makes the rest of the holiday so much easier.

Don't forget to visit Akrotiri, a Minoan village from around 1450 BC, well preserved considering it's age.

The bus from Kamari to Thira is good value and drops you near to the centre.. drop dead gorgeous views from the top over the caldera. You can get a cable car down the 1,000 foot clif to the sea.. much better than the donkeys..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

Sorry, I meant to say Zorzos bar tends at the Boat House, not George. Anyway try to take the tour that includes the wine tasting, the monastery, and the old village, I forgot it's name. Sadly from what brotherlylove said Atkrokiri may not reopen this summer, check this form for my post on it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

Oh, that tour also includes the museum which deals a lot with Ancient city of Atkrotiri.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,986 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

Akrotiri's still closed and so far there's no news of when it's going to open.

England
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

Hi,

If it's the same Seaside apartments that I am thinking of then it is in a good location, at the quiet end of the beach and they have a great restaurant - we went in September and ended up eating there at least 4 times, as did all our friends and family - they are really friendly and the food is lovely.

I like staying in Kamari - there is always something to do and you are close enough to everything else to just get buses into Fira and then onto Oia or wherever you like really.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

Thanks so much for all the great advice!

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

Just booked the sunset apartments also

Sounds good...........bring on the summer

Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kamari, July - Please advise!

I live in a place that has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We have white sand like sugar and beautiful clear blue water, and I was not disappointed with Santorini's beaches! My boyfriend and I went to Santorini last summer and we are going again this summer. Just remember if you decide to say in a resort on the beach you will be missing out on the cliffside caldera views. We stayed in Fira and in Imergovli and took the bus daily to the beach. I really liked Pervilos. They have a lot of beach bars with fantastic pools (these pools are open to the public) We were able to lounge around the pool, eat great food, and enjoy cocktails and then walk right over to the beach. The sand is hot, but how beautiful to see pure black sand. We found Oia a bit too touristy, however Oia has the best restaurant on the island, Nectarine Ambrosia! Be sure to make reservations. I think the volcano tour is worth it. We bought our tickets through our hotel for about 20 bux. The best part is swimming in the hot springs (more warm), but a good piece of advice is to wear clothing that you don't mind getting dirty. The sulphur will stain your clothing orange. Fira has a lot of bars. I don't think you will find any rowdy clubs like you would in Mykonos. The locals are the friendliest ever! Have a great time!