We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inter-island travel

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
inter-island travel

HI! I am looking to travel between Athens, Santorini and Mykonos. Flights start at 19euro per trip but with taxes and fees its more than twice that much. So, since it looks necessary to fly back to athen sbetween islands, am I really looking at almost $400 for my fiance and I to get to see these islands?! Would it be moneywise to try the ferry even though we are both prone to sea sickness?

Any info would help. thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inter-island travel

No reason to fly back to Athens to connect as there is ferry service from Mykonos to Santorini (and vice-versa)...and although the taxes and fees do add up for those air tickets, depending upon your time allotment can save lots of time...You CAN ferry to Mykonos...then to Santorini (quite beautiful entering by sea!) then fly back to Athens! Just a thought! .... or the classic itinerary of flying to Mykonos and flying Santorini back to Athens....ferry between:) Happy Planning and Enjoy!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inter-island travel

To add to Litsa's post, if you travel by Blue Star car ferry instead of highspeed ferry between Athens/Piraeus and Santorini you probably won't get seasick because these ships are very large and extremely stable. The one possible drawback is that it takes about 7+ hours to make the trip.

As far as flying is concerned, the regular 'economy' ferry ticket to Santorini is 30 Euro. That makes spending 10 more Euro to save 6+ hours sound like a good deal to me. By the way, 40 Euro for airfare is a steal!

Here's a link to another airlines that flies directly between Santorini and Mykonos, Sky Express, out of Crete. This is for last season's schedule and there aren't any prices listed, but perhaps you can send them an email and ask.

www.skyexpress.gr/schedule.asp?id=s2006

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inter-island travel

Thanks for your help so far, I have emailed the Crete Airline for more info. Also, how long is the "speed" ferry from Santorini to Mykonos? CHEERS!!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inter-island travel

It takes about 4.5 hours.

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inter-island travel

Sorry, I didn't mean 4.5 hours, that's for between Crete and Mykonos. From Santorini to Mykonos takes about 2.5 hours.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inter-island travel

I used the ferry and got to see some of the other islands on it's route. I didn't want to have to take the ferry but can now say that I'm glad I did. The views are great, especially the approach to Santorini, and I think you'll love it.

BTW, You can take a pill, forgot the name, that really keeps you from getting sea-sick.

7. Re: inter-island travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:18