We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

Toronto
6 posts
Save Topic
Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

Hello, we are spending one week in Greece in late June for our honeymoon...and it seems that Oia may be most romantic and quieter area for Santorini. We also enjoy the beaches, and i'm wondering if since many of the resorts/hotels seem to be up top the hills/volcanos', if we require walking great distances or taking buses to get to a sandy/pebble beach. Also, I don't know much about Corfu, but would anyone recommend going there instead?

How long would one recommend staying in Santorini or Corfu? We enjoy taking day trips and being active, but also by the beach at times.

Thanks for any input.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

hi capture

ive met so many honeymooners that stayed in santorini they absolutley love it its fantastic place ,in most places you either get the bus to the beach or you get the bus into town ,

when i go to to santorini i stay in thira and oia as i like to walk back to my hotel room and take the bus to the beach which is so easy to get to by bus and you see santorini in daylight on the way to the beach ,

and if you like taking day trips theres always boats leaving from the port that you can take day trips to folengandros ios anafi which are only 30 mins to 1 hour away by boat approx

ios has probably the best beaches so maybe you can take the morning boat across and thira to ios and spend the day returning on the evening boat

hope this helps

oioigeeza

if you need any help feel free to contact me :>)

oioigeeza

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

Hi

I too would go for Santorini every time. Nothing against Corfu but you just can't beat the scenery and sunsets on Santorini, it is a real honeymooners' paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

Oia is approximately 12 miles from the two most popular beaches, Perissa and Kamari. The bus system is excellent. From Oia you'd take a bus into Fira and then transfer to the bus going to the beach of your choice. There is a section of coastline within walking distance to Oia called Koulumbos where there's a beach called Paradise Beach. It's not as good as those previously mentioned but it's close and usually unpopulated. The best swimming is actually just below Oia at the bottom of the steps. It's not a beach but at the end of the seawall, about 1/4 mile, that extends towards the caldera from the wharf at Ammoudi, are some very large rocks for sunbathing, and you can also swim 100 ft. across the narrow channel to the little rock island where there's a cement platform for sunbathing and the most fantastic view of the island from sea level.

In the past there haven't been daily ferries to and from Anafi or Folegandros from Santorini, and I'm not sure that's been changed. You'd have to check in a tourist office once you're there to find out. But you can definitely go to Ios and back in a day. Because of the return schedule you'll have about 4-5 good hours before you have to get back to the ferry dock.

If you want an active nightlife 'scene' on Santorini you're better off staying closer in to Fira. Oia is 7 miles away. The buses stop running around 10:30 PM and taxis get scarce after midnight. Firostefani is just a short walk from Fira but is itself very quiet. Imerovigli is also within walking distance, about 1 mile (uphill) from Fira. Oia's nightlife is limited to the restaurats and a few quiet bars.

There are two popular hiking trails on Santorini, one along the cliffs between Oia and Fira, and the other between Perissa Beach and Kamari Beach which passes by the archaeological site of Ancient Thera at the top of the mountain that separates these two beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Anafi
Anafi
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Firostefani
Firostefani
Santorini, Greece
Imerovigli
Imerovigli
Santorini, Greece
Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

I have also heard good things about Milos and Naxos Island...both seem to have nice beaches just outside some of their hotels.

Thank you for the input! It is helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

"Also, I don't know much about Corfu, but would anyone recommend going there instead?"

No. no no no no no NO!

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Montreal
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

Both Corfu and Santorini are beautiful islands. Corfu is a lot bigger and if you rent a car there's so much to see on that island. I also think the beaches are a lot nicer. That being said, i would still choose Santorini. it's close to a lot of other islands so you'll have the option of doing more day trips. It also has nice beaches. But nothing beats the sunsets in Santorini. Or walking around Oia before the busloads of tourists come in to see the sunsets. Or sitting in a cliffside cafe in Fira and and just looking out at the surronding beauty with the volcano in the middle of the sea. i fell in love with Santorini in 2002, went there again this summer, and would go there again.

A week in Santorini is good- two weeks in plenty. If you go for two weeks i would highly recommend visiting other islands as well. Since Corfu is a bigger island, you could probably stay there for more than a week. I was there for 4 days and that wasn't nearly enough time.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

hi.

they are completely different islands in architecture and style.

both are wonderful honeymoon destinations.in santorini the color of sea and sky are just fantastic while in corfu the picturesque villages with great nature and beautiful beaches is also marvellous.

if you pick santorini try to stay in imerovigli so to have the chance to admire all these colors i previously mentioned.

if you choose corfu try www.grecotel.gr(imperial palace) and book a suite with private pool-once in a lifetime experience.

8. Re: Santorini or Corfu for June honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 16:17