We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sifnos Greece: Where to Stay (towns) and What to Do

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sifnos Greece: Where to Stay (towns) and What to Do

I'm just beginning research...I am wondering if the island is large enough to divide our time between two areas? An additional question: is it possible (and easy) to take the bus as opposed to renting a car? I saw the reviews about the Nymphes Hotel and Delphini Hotel--both sound lovely. Any more feedback on the island itself and places of interest? Is a week enough/too much time for exploring and enjoying the sea? I'm going to post a question about Mykonos and Santorini as well. I'll start a new topic. VagabundaLoca

S Wales
Level Contributor
87 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sifnos Greece: Where to Stay (towns) and What to Do

Sifnos is miles apart from Santorini or Mykonos - the latter two islands are hoplessly over-exploited

and expensive. (Couple of cruise ships daily).

Although saying that a day in Mykonos Town and a couple of days on Santorini is a must.

Naxos and Paros are great islands and far less exploited commercially.

Anyway back to Sifnos, we stayed recently in Kamares which is the Port also. Staying at the lovely Boufounis Studios, very clean and very convenient for the little shops,bars,restaurants etc.Beach about 150yards.We hired a car just for 1 day to visit Faros,Platys Yialos etc in the South - brilliant !

Probably 4 days Sifnos,3 Santorini,2 Mykonos,4 Naxos

would be a good mix.

We have visited 22 islands over the last 3 years and cannot get enough of the smaller Greek Islands.

Best of luck.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sifnos Greece: Where to Stay (towns) and What to Do

Yes, Sifnos has no connections with Mykonos,, although it does connect, irregularly with Santorini.

Sifnos is a small island, you can certainly see its main attractions in a few days, but walking the island is one of the best ways to get a feel for the island. That and eating as well. Nevertheless, from its port Kamaras to its "centre" it's only 5-6 kms. Apollonia from Artemonas is only 1.5km, Ano -Kato Petali are even less, Kastro 3 kms, Playts Gialos 9, Vathy 11, and Heronissos 15. Roads are very good.

Regarding the bus timetables, until the end of August there are very frequent bus timetables and routes commencing from Artemonas [but terminal} to Apollonia to all the places mentioned above, including Faro-departures commence approx 07.00 am until 23.00h or 24.00h. The bus to Heronissos ends its schedules the earliest {about 20.30-21.00} and only 5 timetables per day. Faro has about 8, whilst Kamares and Platys Gialos have about 18.

From Sept onwards, departures are less frequent and end earlier.

Re - hotels, I suggest you choose from 3 bases - either Kamares, Delfini is a good choice at far end of the beach, rocky outcrop although good pool, great views of the harbour, also have a look at Alkyonis villas a little nearer, and for a more reasonable choice, Kiki hotel.

Hotel Petali {or a more economical choice next door, Geronti Pension}, in Ano Petali.

Worth noting that most of its walking paths also commence from Apollonia area, if you an enthusiastic hiker

{Artemonas= Myrto Bungalows/Katerina studios for good simple accommodation},in Platys Gialos= Niriedis and Verina Suites [although less of a view].

There is also the large 5 star complex resort Elies at Vathy..and a small hotel in an 19th century mansion in Apollonia that appears quite interesting although I can't comment any further,

http://www.patriarca.gr/

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sifnos Greece: Where to Stay (towns) and What to Do

Very, very helpful. Your info that will get me started and head me in the right direction. Walking DOES look like an option, even for someone with a new knee! (It will be "old" by May.) I will check out your website and get back to you...It may be a while as we have several things going on--like we leave for Costa Rica this evening! Thanks! --VagabundaLoca

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sifnos Greece: Where to Stay (towns) and What to Do

Good walking trails can be found here,

http://www.cycladen.be/SifnosEng.htm

Know that in May bus timetables will be less, although still viable. Renting a car may be a good option, there quite a few car agencies to choose from, 5 in Kamares and 1 in Apollonia - rates should be competitive for May, happy planning,

5. Re: Sifnos Greece: Where to Stay (towns) and What to Do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos
Recent Conversations