We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel route

Doha
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travel route

My wife and I are planning a three wek island hopping trip next year in July. We'll fly into Athens and we want to visit Paros, Naxos and Sifnos. Can anyone advise on the best order in which to visit that tallies with the ferry routes?

Thanks

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel route

There are usually two ferries a week between Sinos and Paros and Paros to Sifnos, and a number of boats every day between Paros and Naxos and back.The route I'd choose would be Piraeus ,Sifnos, Paros Naxos and back to Piraeus. No doubt there will be up to date ferry schedules in the New Year. Try Greek Travel Pages.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel route

Sifnos to Paros or Naxos is 'cross route' so not a daily connection maybe 2-3 times per week the 'Aeolos Kenteris' is the current ferry this will, I guess, probably continue - goes Sun, Tues.

So a sensible running order would Piraeus > Sifnos > Paros > Naxos > Piraeus or the reverse.

Doha
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel route

Thanks for the advice. That looks our best route. Is there enough to see and do on Sifnos to last seven days?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel route

That's up to you. Many people, myself included, would happily spend a week in Sifnos but if you got bored, it's a short hop to Serifos or Milos.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel route

You could always have a couple of days on Serifos, there are usually one or two ferries a day from Piraeus which carry on to Sifnos, which is about one hour further on from Serifos.

Edited: 24 November 2009, 16:22
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel route

I've spent 15 and 18 days in Sifnos and both times (once as a child and then as a teenager) I had a great time. Sifnos has several great beaches, good nightlife and tens of good restaurants to try.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel route

We spent three weeks on Sifnos in July-August thirty years ago and could not wait to go back the next year! After that we went every year, and now I live in Athens I can get there easily and I go for weeks at a time, in April, May-June and September. So yes – there is plenty to do! Now in the summer there are lots of interesting bars and nightlife, not a huge number of beaches, but good ones with sand and rocks, and there are really great walks, if that appeals to you and it's not too hot in July. Also, in July your visit will almost certainly coincide with one of the local festivals - visitors are always welcome. If you need more specific info I can probably help – do send me a pm if you like.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel route

Hi Doharic,

If it's prior to 20th July, and you;re not set on a specific hotel, then you could "play it be ear" but no later for the western Cyclades. Demand is great and accommodation possibilities low.

Serifos and Milos as advised are next door - so is Kythnos.

Also as advised, it's too early for ferry schedules which are never fixed...

the western Cyclades are getting better linked to the central Cyclades, as each year passes, so you never know re-ferry schedules next year, but most probably there will be alternative day connections in July,

Doha
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel route

Many thanks to everyone for all the sound advice. We've got the island hopping bug after many years of holidays in the more popular Greek islands such as Skiathos, Corfu, Samos, Ios, Crete, Kos, Kephalonia, Thassos, Lesvos as well as a couple of sailing holidays.

Ios this year was a bit too young for our liking but our teenage kids had a ball. Next year we'll be on our own so we want a more peaceful time exploring the beaches and enjoying the food and culture.

The heat won't bother us as we live in Qatar although I notice the sun is more powerful in the Med than it is here.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel route

hi Doharic,

sounds good, Sifnos is ideal for exploring {as Nikoletta added, hiking trails} and just relaxing. You might like to have a look at Amorgos too, not too difficult to get to from Naxos, on a daily ferry run...

www.amorgos.net

Get answers to your questions about Sifnos