We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Hi guys

I have read the reviews of the different hotels on Sifnos and am still stumped on where to stay.

We are considering Delfini however the reviews are mixed on it, people tend to think the experience is in the hands of the owners.

I've read Matt's Greece guide also but his favourite hotel (Stavros) on Sifnos is on the main road apparently and according to other reviewers it's quite noisy however he thinks the people are the friendliest people on the island.

We are a family of four, 2 adults and two very young children ( 1 and 3 year/s), and are wanting somewhere quiet and relaxing which offers a good night's sleep, great views, and good food, and a decent beach where our children can play on - i.e clean.

Which location on Sifnos is a good base for our requirements do you think?

Many thanks for your help.

Olargues, France
Level Contributor
40 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

I first saw your query regarding April accommodation on Corfu (which we are visiting for our first time in May) and then saw you've decided to visit Sifnos instead. You won't be disappointed!

I've had two wonderful holidays on Sifnos, staying at the Petali Village Hotel. It used to just be 'The Petali', but has expanded a bit over the years and a most welcome swimming pool has been added. The views across the beautiful island are spectacular and the service and amenities have always been first rate.

On my first visit, in 1998, I remember being pleasantly surprised by the high-quality of The Petali's sheets and towels, the starched white linens on the dining room tables at breakfast, and the small brazier on which my individual china coffee pot was placed, so the coffee stayed hot. Considerate touches not normally found on Greek islands...

This is a gem of a hotel, which if it was on Mykonos or Santorini would easily cost 500+ euros a night! GO FOR IT.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Hi...not sure if you've made a decision yet, but Kamares is definitely a kid friendly option. The beach is so long and justs begs for walking lessons and running with wild abandon! Too cool to swim in April, but tons of play options--playground right next to the beach. The road in town where all the restaurants are, as well as around the corner to Agia Marina where there are hotels, pensions and apartments is flat and perfect for strollers. no need for a car except to explore the rest of the island. So easy to grab a car rental for a day or 2 right there in Kamares. Apollonia, Kastro, Artemonas and Vathi--all great--but hard for the little ones to get around. Platy Yialos is nice. I think Kamares is just easier for the parent aspect.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Have you made sure that the hotels on Sifnos are open so early in season ? When I asked a couple of years ago, I was told that season-start was on May 1. And even if some hotels are open, the total of services may be limited.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Hi there

Thanks skippyo, really appreciate the feedback, and Periscope yes we have spoken to the hotel in question, thanks for that.

However we are starting to think Sifnos may not be the best place to take children early April, as the fast ferries may not be running, and to take a 1 year old baby and 3 year old toddler on a ferry in potential choppy waters for many many hours may be quite a bad idea.

As sad as I feel to not have the chance to see Sifnos, it's looking more likely that we will have to choose something closer in land like Hydra.

Think the time of year we have chosen is difficult, so Hydra might be our better bet. Hope to get to see Sifnos one day though.

Thanks for your responses..

Edited: 04 February 2011, 12:30
London
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Hi Tattnall, Sifnos is really where I'd love to go, but my husband has concerns about taking our children out on a ferry which may not be the fast route out, and then there's the potential of bad weather - it wasn't reassuring to learn that the lighthouse hotel won't open in April, which we can only assume is weather based.

But Sifnos is the top of our list, thank you for the recommendation I will keep that noted - who knows me may just strike it lucky and get out there.

I think we will stay at Hydra for one night to avoid staying Pireaus if thats possible, and see if any ferries leave Hydra for Sifnos. At least that might make the trip shorter?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

>>see if any ferries leave Hydra for Sifnos. At least that might make the trip shorter?<<

You won't have any luck there, plus a faster ferry ride isn't always better, especially in windy weather (the faster the ferry, the rougher the ride).

Rather than going to Hydra to avoid Piraeus, you may want to consider Aegina. Easier to get to and MUCH more children-friendly.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Thanks Tinsey, I'm starting to get the feeling the Greek Islands mayn't be our best idea - because it's looking very likely that Sifnos is out, then it only leaves the inland islands, Poros seems to be more of a party town and crazy busy at weekends, Hydra without cars (which appeals) but lots of steps and no or little beaches.

Could I ask your opinion, would you position yourself in Aegina for a whole week since the other islands could be a no go?

Thanks for your help.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 12:51
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

If you must go to an island close to Athens, then yes, Aegina would be my choice. The main town is lovely, there are things to see around the island, some nice beaches (although weather may not comply) and most importantly, the ferry crossing is short and sweet and unlikely to fail. For example, take today: due to the high winds and general crappy weather, there are no ferries leaving any of the 3 Athens ports, but ferries to Aegina still operate.

BTW I don't think you'll find Poros too crowded in early April, but the lack of proper roads in Hydra would certainly put me off. Climbing isn't easy.

Personally, I'd probably look into splitting my time between Athens and Aegina - there are beaches in and around Athens too, where you could take the kids, and lots more to do generally.

Alternatively, you could consider a destination on the mainland, maybe Nafplio, Tolo or Loutraki?

Edited: 04 February 2011, 12:57
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Hi Osbie,

Have you considered flying to an island? Sifnos doesn't have an airport, but many others do. Naxos, for example, has an airport, and flying time is only about 30 minutes from Athens. Naxos is a child-friendly island, with a nice sandy beach (St George) right in town.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sifnos early April 2011 - accomodation

Thanks Tinsey, I will pass your comments over to my husband.

The reason we are avoiding Athens is that we find city environments too much when we need a break - we work quite crazy hours and haven't had a holiday in years. So we are keen to get a relaxing holiday in a peaceful environment overlooking a lovely landscape or beach.

It was actually our father in law who told us to go to the Greek Isles because he said it was incredibly peaceful in certain places.

Thanks again, I will have a look at your other suggestions too, really appreciate it.

Get answers to your questions about Sifnos
Recent Conversations