We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting too and from Vathy

wellingborough
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
getting too and from Vathy

This will be my first time to Sifnos. what's best, the slow boat or the fast boat? from Pireaus.

When I arrive I have to get to Vathy, should I hire an ATV and drive as I need to carry a case? go by bus? do I need to change buses?

Can you hire a motorbike in Vathy? or is the port Kamares the only place?

Sorry i'm 57 and need to know these things

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting too and from Vathy

AEGEAN SPEED LINES leaves Piraeus at 7.30 and gets in at 10.40 while HELLENIC SEAWAYS leaves at 16.30 and arrives at 19.15, this one is nit daily though. As the season gets into full swing AEGEAN SPEED LINES have one at 17.30, in at 20.30.

…forth-crs.gr/english_os/npgres.exe…

www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting too and from Vathy

Not sure what time you are looking to leave Piraeus but last year we enjoyed the morning slow ferry, the Agios Georgios, to Sifnos. The Ventouris Sealines website has the timetables.

From Kamares you will need to change bus in Apollonia to get to Vathy. We shared a taxi with another traveller last year which made it a very quick transfer.

I don't remember any hire companies in Vathy.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting too and from Vathy

Here are the websites for Openseas and Greek Travel Pages, which will show you the timetables for all the boats. Whether you take the ‘slow’ boat or the ‘fast’ one is a matter of personal choice: I dislike the Sppedrunners, which I find cramped, though they do come in different sizes. The ‘Highspeeds’ are a bit larger. If I can, I travel in the first class lounge of the ‘slow’ Agios Georgios: it costs less than the ‘fast’ ferries, and they really look after you! It’s not particularly slow, either – about 5 hours – in the years before fast boats it used to take 8! You don't say when you're coming - there will be more boats in the summer, but the timetables may not be ready yet. It’s probably best to hire transport in Kamares, where there’s more choice. I’m pretty sure there are no hire firms at Vathy.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting too and from Vathy

Whoops! I forgot to paste in the websites!

http://www.openseas.gr

http://www.gtp.gr

wellingborough
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting too and from Vathy

Thanks every one who has replied.

My plan is to land at Athens at 2am on June 6th then get a bus to Pireaus in order to get an early sailing and get my ticket then?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting too and from Vathy

Great timing! You should get out of the airport before 3.00 am, even if you have to wait for luggage. Get the X96 bus toPiraeus just outside the arrivals hall - at that time it should only take about an hour to Piraeus, as there won't be much traffic. The bus terminal is very close to the area for Sifnos boats, and the ticket office. I see it'll be the Speedrunner 4 -I think it's the smallest of the Aegean Sealine boats! There are several cafes which will be open early in the morning - it's nice to sit there with a drink and a snack before you get on the boat - more variety and cheaper, too!! Let me know if you need any more info about Sifnos - you'll just miss the major festival of the island, when it gets very busy for a few days, but at the beginning of June there won't be many visitors yet. I love Vathy - my favourite taverna is Oceanida, on the beach, second on the right as you come down the path from the bus stop. I find the water a bit chilly in June, though!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting too and from Vathy

When we stayed in Sifnos we used the bus service exclusively with a couple of taxi rides when we stayed later in a village after the buses stopped running.

We got to Vathi on an early bus, spent the day there then took the bus back to Kamares where we stayed.

The bus rides are like being on a roller coaster, with roads going up the sides of mountains with sheer drops on one side and later sheer drops to the ocean. But it was wild and enjoyable. We were there in mid-Oct and there were only a handful of people on the buses and sometimes just me, my wife and bus driver!

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting too and from Vathy

You can also buy your ferry ticket at the airport before you get on the bus. I have done the journey to Sifnos several times landing in Athens in the middle of the night and prefer to get the 7.05 Speedrunner departure from Pireaus which gets into Sifnos by 10.00 am. Have a good trip.

nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting too and from Vathy

Hi all, I may be doing this same journey this July, 2am into Athens, bus over to Pireaus then 7:05am to Sifnos.

Did eveything work out ok for you? Any comments on your overnight trip??

Thanks

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting too and from Vathy

We took the Aegean Speedlines from Pireaus with one stop at Serifos. It took about 4-1/2 hours to get to Kamaras

We arrived at Kamaras where we were based and took day trips to various other parts of the island using the local bus. The bus was cheap, efficient, clean and quite an exciting ride out of Kamaras with a roller coaster ride along the sides of mountains. We were there in Oct. and there were very few people on the bus, usually just a handful of locals. A couple times it was only me, my wife & the bus driver!

See my privious post about Sifnos also

Get answers to your questions about Sifnos