We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

San Francisco
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

Hi everyone,

I am limited in what I can eat (vegetarian and seafood) and am wondering about any recommendations for restaurants/specific dishes. We will be staying in Ano Petali, but can travel all over the island. Thanks in advance for any tips!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

Hey and welcome hikergirl622:-) Am sure someone will kick in on some good places for you in Sifnos! Regardless of the isle, I think you'll find you're in paradise with your cuisine prefs;-) I'm a modified veggie..no red meat..but eat fish.. chicken on occassion.. and find the isles are a perfect place for such a diet;-) You can feast on numerous apps..from gigantes (giant beans) to their wonderful 'dips' (tzatziki, meltzonosalata, etc)..all veggie based..and of course, the infamous Greek Salad;-) I always feast on a salad..or app..along with fish..and just to note on fish..when you order a 'fish', it's charged by the kilo (2.2 lbs to the kilo;-) ..wonderful grilled octopus, small fried smelts and the like are way cheaper, delicious and not weight dependent;-) Am sure you'll be in heaven..and totally ENjoY!

Edited: 14 April 2012, 17:22
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,682 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

Here is to give you an idea of Greek food and choices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_cuisine

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_dishes

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

Great links Eric;-) There ya go hikergirl622..and FWIW, you'll find veggie friendly food throughout the Country..very popular! Once you've tasted a Greek tomato..or cuc for that matter..you'll never look back;-)) Keep enjoyin'!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

Sorry, a bit confused here, do you mean vegetarian OR seafood?

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

We were in Sifnos Oct. 2010 and were based in Kamares. There are a number of tavernas/restaurants right on the water-front. My wife is a vegetarian (eats seafood/poultry though) and sampled the Eggplant Imman. I had a few bites myself and it was outstanding! Of course there is the Greek Salad with Feta cheese which is to die for! There are many other restaurants throughout the towns in Sifnos and most will offer vegetarian fare. I also tried Octopus which was outstanding. You get good sized tentacles nicely arranged on a plate drizzled with Olive Oil and with some capers. It was fantastic! If anyone ever saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" when the non-Greek boyfriend said he was a vegetarian and didn't eat meat and got the response from a Greek: "Lamb is not meat" you will understand the Greeks. They will accommodate you in whatever you want to eat. But to go to Greece and not eat lamb or goat for that matter . . . then you are missing out!

Edited: 17 April 2012, 19:11
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

Hello, Hikergirl!

You will have NO problem in finding great food on Sifnos! Others have described some of the delights of vegetarian food here, including the wonderful ‘seafood’. I suspect that ‘seafood’ means no fish? In fact on Sifnos there isn’t a huge variety of fish, and much of what is caught is shipped to Athens, anyway. Greeks themselves don’t eat a lot of meat, except maybe on holiday (too expensive!) For many Greeks their diet is actually vegan, rather than vegetarian, for a large part of the year: we’ve just come out of the long fast before Easter which really means no meat, no fish and (sadly!) no dairy, so there are lots of great dishes involving vegetables and pulses. I totally agree with crazyh's recommendation for the ‘imam’ made with eggplant and tomato – one of my favourites! The ‘national dish’ on Sifnos is actually a soup made with chickpeas – eaten especially on Sundays. I have to admit this is not my favourite meal, and I go to great lengths to avoid it, but it is nice – if you don’t have to eat it too often! You’re staying in Ano Petali – may I ask - is that at the ‘’Petali Village Hotel’’? I’m directly opposite, in the Geronti rooms – I expect to be back there for most of May and a few days in June, and then again, I hope, in September. If there’s anything you need to know, just send me a pm. You will have a GREAT time!! Oooh - forgot to mention - on the path going down from Ano Petali to Apollonia, there's an AMAZING Italian restaurant: I think the owner is from Sicily. He has absolutely terrific food, with LOTS of vegetarian options. People come from all over the island .....!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

Thanks everyone! This is so helpful. And yes, I'll be at the Petali Village Hotel.

8. Re: Tips for vegetarians/seafood lovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos
Recent Conversations