We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

We will be in Sifnos for 3 or 4 nights in mid september with our 2 year old son.

I can't decide whether to stay in Vathi bay or Kamares?

We want to explore the island one day (probably by car) and then just relax on the other days, by the beach, in cafes so we want to be walking distance to the shops, restaurants but we don't need too much nightlife! Vathi looks nice but i wonder if it is too quiet?

Our budget is up to 100Euro per night.

Thank You

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

I can certainly recommend this place in Kamares where I have stayed:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189434-d146302…

If you want it a bit quiet, Kamares would suit you very well. There are nice restaurants and a few bars without noisy nightlife(by the water). Easy access to the rest of the island by bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

Thanks Nicksy! - I think sifnos might have fallen off our itinery to make way for more time on milos and naxos though :(

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

Sifnos is brilliant for families and i would hugely recommend kamares. Soft sandy beach, shallow crystal clear waters, perfect for toddlers. Lots of cafes (great ice creams) and resturants. Vathi is lovely, v pretty, but a small beach and much deeper water and slightly pebbly beach.

I don't know milos, or naxos, but I coudnt think of a better place to go. Look at the Matt Barrat greek island pages to get ideas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

Thanks Crunchie - orginally i wanted to do sifnos and naxos but unfortunately the ferries don't link naxos and sifnos so we dropped sifnos for milos!

sifnos wil have to wait!

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

Sifnos is my choice if you want a Greek Island that's still Old World but with modern conveniences. We were based in Kamares which is the main port for the island. It's a very nice family-friendly town. We were there in October during off season so a lot of businesses were closed but enough opened to keep us happy. September is also near the off-season so some businesses may also be closed. There is excellent bus service to most other towns/villages on the island so maybe a car would not be necessary. There is also good taxi service with reasonable prices in case you miss the last bus.

When we went to Vathi the entire town was pretty much empty, the beaches were deserted and we didn't even see many locals. It is a little out of the way but it has a beautiful area with a fabulous sandy beach.

Another good choice would be Appollonia, the capital of the island with a lot more options, dining, nightlife, shops, taverns.

One village I highly recommend going to is Kastro, the ancient hilltop village overlooking the Aegean. Fabulous old world feel with narrow alleys, streets, goats, and the beautiful Church of the 7 Mrytars on a rock outcropping on the ocean!

You'll love Sifnos!

Edited: 20 June 2012, 19:12
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

I think it's great to see the recommendations for Kamares! I love it, too - wonderful beach with shallow water for children, but also a choice of deeper water and rocks on the Agia Marina side; sand dunes, trees,some of the highest ''mountains'' on the island; a variety of shops and supermarkets; great tavernas - although I have to admit I nearly always go to Sophia's. It's the very first one on the right as you come off the boat, after the various harbour buildings and the kiosk. It's a nice short bus ride down from the village of Ano Petali, where I stay. I've just got back from Sifnos and I'm having a few withdrawal symptoms! But I love Athens, too - all being well I'll be back on Sifnos in September!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

I am not sure about your connection between Naxos and Milos in September. It will also take a long time if there is a connection. Personally, Sifnos, particularly in September, is a much more appealing island than Milos.

There are connections to Sifnos though Paros

Kamares would be my choice on Sifnos.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

I was hoping to go to sifnos and naxos but they aren't connected directly and we don't want to do too much packing and unpacking with a 2 year old child in tow!

Milos looks nice too and we are quite happy having a chilled out restful time!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

We do not know you full schedule, however with a 2 year old I think that most of us would recommend you skip Naxos and Milos and concentrate on Sifnos.

Travelling from Naxos to Milos, if possible, is time consuming and expensive. The only beach resort in Milos suitable for a 2 year old is Appollonia, but Kamares in Sifnos is so much better, particularly because there are all the other great places to visit in Sifnos and the beach is so clean, shallow and central to the village and its very good restaurants and accommodation. In September I would not think that you would pay more than 40 to 60 Euros for a good place in Kamares or Vathi, if you wanted to split where you stayed.

Naxos is great - we have stayed there many times - however if you stay in Naxos Town you have to walk to Agios Georgios beach which is OK, but not very clean, and it will still have package tourists in September, or you can stay down the coast towards Plaka but it can be very windy down there are you are reliant on the bus into Naxos Town for more choice of things to do. Kamares on Sifnos would be far more relaxing - Vathi even more so.

Wherever you go there are two great inexpensive restaurants you must visit - Paradisos Taverna on the beach at Maragas on Naxos - the sunset over Paros is normally magnificent and the taverna nearest the Chrysopiggi Monastery at Apokofto beach on Sifnos is fantastic.

I still love to see the Cuernos in your picture

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to stay with a 2 yr old in Sifnos

You have found yourself on forum of sifnos lovers who cannot imagine anywhere better!! I have not been to Milos/Naxos but have done Sifnos, came back a couple of weeks ago. Travelling with a toddler is exhasting, but 1 extra point re sifnos (!) is that if you stay in Kamares is that you get off the ferry and in 5 minues can be in your accomadation! Also I have never ever met people as friendly whereever I have been.

Get answers to your questions about Sifnos
Recent Conversations