We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

I am planning a trip to Greece for summer 2014 and am having trouble finalizing plans for the island portion of our trip. We are a family w/3 kids (2 young teens, one 8 yo). We will be in Athens for several days at the end of June and then have about 5 days to visit the Cyclades in early July.

I started out thinking Santorini and Naxos... would avoid Santorini because of high season crowds/prices, but I would like to see Akrotiri (arch. site; I know it is not too dramatic but I plan to prepare w/study ahead of time and/or hire a guide). So I thought 2 nights on Santorini and then 3 on Naxos for the beach experience and a few more interesting archeological sites w/o the high hotel price of Santorini. I am rethinking this because I have heard from a local that Naxos beaches can be windy w/rough seas sometimes... my friend recommended Sifnos. Checked it out and it looks great for beaches and very relaxing!

I am wondering if combing Santorini/Sifnos is possible... it looks like if I want to book rooms ahead (which I do) this might be difficult as the ferry connection may not happen every day. Anyone have experience with this? Also, I understand that the ferry schedules are not yet out for next summer, so perhaps it is safer to stick to Santorini/Naxos as they are on the same line and will have daily connections in high season.

Any input would be much appreciated!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

I believe you can combine Sifnos/Santorini. Actually Sifnos is one of the best of the Cyclades Islands, not quite as developed as others so you still got some Greek character and charm. We were there in Oct. 2010 and most of the shops/businesses were shut down and the beach towns/beaches were ghosts towns, but that was OK because we didn't go for the nightlife or crowds, but enough was open to keep us happy. I would think there would be more happening in Sifnos if you go during the summer (actually most anywhere in the Greek islands) it is the high season and it will be crowded, especially Santorini. We just got back from Naxos after an early Oct. trip and it was wonderful, a great combination of Old & New World. Naxos doesn't rely on tourism so most everything was open but it was not crowded. Again it was Oct. so less tourism in general. I would recommend Naxos over Santorini, not because Santorini is not a spectacular island but because of the crowds and higher costs. But to each there own.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 20:37
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

Being a Sifnos fan, having been there numerous times, I can only say: go for it! It has its own unique atmosphere, pottery factories, shops, charming beaches for children, shallow. A quite small island, where you could visit many place in a short time. Kastro, Platy Yalos, Panagia, recommended.

Enjoy your stay!

Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

Last July's ferry schedules show direct connection between Santorini and Sifnos only on Monday, Wednesday & Friday with either traditional ferry times of around 5 hours or Seajets about 3 hours.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

Thanks for the replies! I suppose ferry schedules can change from the year before? so maybe it is safest to stay on Sifnos the entire time or if we want to see Santorini perhaps do that combined with another island and hope to come back for another visit to Greece.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

I think staying on one island for 5 days is more practical and relaxing than trying to do two islands in that time period. We loved Sifnos, much more low-key than Santorini and stayed there for 5 days in mid-Oct. 2010. As I stated earlier a lot of the island was shut down but enough open to keep us happy. Everything will be open during the summer so you should have plenty to do, see, & eat. Sifnos to me is the reason to go to a Greek island, not as touristy or developed as others, no big cruise ships in the harbor, more character and charm, great beaches and courteous and helpful locals.

6. Re: Sifnos instead of Naxos w/Santorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:18