We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

My husband and I will be spending 5 days on Sifnos in mid-August 2014, and are looking to book a ferry back to Piraeus on Saturday, August 16. We have a plane to catch early in the morning on Sunday the 17th (I know, I know, but it was the only option). A few questions about the logistics of this:

1) It looks like there are two companies that run the route, Aegean Speed Lines (faster) and Cyclades Ferries (slower). Is either of those companies more consistently reliable given that we don't have a lot of buffer for our flight back to California?

2) If there's no difference in reliability, is one a nicer experience?

3) Any recommendations for good sites to purchase tickets from?

Thanks much!

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

Aegean Speedlines have been very reliable in the past with an on time arrival in Sifnos most days.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

I would book direct with Aegean Speedlines since you are travelling on a Saturday in August. You can then collect your ticket when on Sifnos, they have an agent (Xidis Travel) in Kamares.

UK
Level Contributor
364 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

We travel between Sifnos and Piraeus every year, we arrive the on the 14th this year.

There's no real difference in reliability but high winds can be a factor, especially for Speedlines, but disruption is relatively rare. There is a choice of four sailings on 16th.

We prefer the slow ferries http://www.cycladesferries.gr/?lang=en .

We like the Agios Georgios and usually travel first class, worth it for the extra €6 pp.

It's a better experience for us than the soulless Speedlines, especially if there are no time constraints.

It's not worth paying for first class on the Adam Korais because you only get airplane seat as an extra.

Saturday 16th is likely to be one of the busiest of the year because it is the day after Panagiri, the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, one of the major religious festivals in Greece. So lots of Greeks will be returning home that weekend. Could be very busy.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

I would take the Speedrunner 3 at 12:30 or the Adamantios Korais at 13:15 The latter being cheaper.

First ferries on the day are the obvious choice. Essentially the same experience on any of the departures that day.

Reliability is a non issue, there is no way you can predict a biblical storm springing up.

Book direct with the company and pickup paper tickets on Sifnos.

http://www.aegeanspeedlines.gr/index_en.html

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

Thanks, all! Super helpful. Two follow-up questions:

1) Tomtom12: Is the first-class option on the Agios Georgios the "Aegean A-class lounge", or the "ATS 1"? Not obvious from the website (and neither appears to be €6 pp more).

2) Any thoughts on how the Speedrunner 3 is for a seasick-inclined person? is there a deck you can go on to get fresh air?

Thanks much!

UK
Level Contributor
364 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

1) Last year, and for a few years previously the prices where €30 and €36 for Deck & 1st class respectively, looks like they have increased one but not the other.

Not sure what the name of the lounge is, we just ask for "Proti Thesi" (Ist Class). You won't have any problem booking your tickets when you get to Sifnos , for the slow ferries at least. Speedrunner is a different matter, need to book in advance. FWIW, we have been travelling throughout Greece over the past 30+ years and have never booked ferry tickets in advance.

2) I can't comment on sea-sickness from a personal viewpoint, but my wife sometimes finds the droning of the engines combine with the constant jolting a problem when the weather in windy. It's a personal thing really , can't say I seen any evidence when we have been forced by circumstances to take Speedrunner. But be aware that you will be travelling into the Meltemi, the prevailing north wind which blows throughout the Cyclades in July and August.

Yes, there is an open deck where you can get fresh, but hold onto your hat.!!

And " Kalo Taxidi!! "

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

Agios Georios or Ad. Korais are preferable to Speedrunner and cheaper.

For August 16 I think you need to book these ferries as early as possible, if not on the internet before then at least when you are in Piraeus before you go to the islands.

August 15th is the biggest festival in the whole of the year in Greece. All the people will not be able to get back on Sunday so they will have to book Saturday.

You may be better going back on Friday and having Athens to yourself and the stray dogs.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

Thanks all - very helpful!

Mannheim, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

Hi,

really experts here. Maybe you can help me as well.

Sifnos 2015, (August)

we are flying home from ATH at 16:00 hrs.

Do you think it will be fine to have the 1st ferry in the morning ? Do we have enough time to catch our flight at 16:00 ? Which ferry do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance

Edited: 18 September 2014, 07:53
UK
Level Contributor
364 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sifnos -> Piraeus ferry recommendations

No, not posiible I'm afraid, unless there's a major overhaul of ferry timetables.

Generally, the 1st ferry to Piraeus is Aegean Speedlines at 12.30pm, which takes 3 hours, officially.

If you want to avoid staying in Athens you could get a late night ferry back and book a cabin, provided there's a late one on the night you want to leave. You can get a reasonable idea of next year's timetable from this year's

http://www.openseas.gr/en/departures/sifnos . It's not infallible, so to be sure you need to wait till next years timetables are out .

Get answers to your questions about Sifnos