We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend are looking at different alternatives for a Greek island getaway this summer - she has been to several but we are now looking at Syros which she hasn't been to, so we are looking into it and it seems lovely, the only question is if there is enough to do to have something to do at least every other day - it doesn't have to be advanced things, we are really looking to unwind and just enjoy life really. :) But the occasional snorkeling, kayaking, light hiking, museums, a little nightlife etc would be nice to have something to add flavour to every day except an extensive amount of chilling out with a glass of wine and some bread with olive oil in the sun by the ocean. :)

Thanks for any comments and ideas about this island!

Ermoupolis City Hall
Architectural Buildings, Government Buildings, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saint Nicholas Church
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

Personally, I would think that 2 weeks is rather a long time for an island like Syros but then I’m the kind of person who gets itchy feet after a few days and I’d find boredom setting in early on Syros. Don’t get me wrong. Ermoupolis is one of Greece’s finest cities but you don’t sound like the kind of people who want to spend your days in town.

The beaches on Syros are easy enough to get to but they lack the quality of those on Naxos, for example. You don’t say which other islands you’ve visited but if I had to spend two weeks on one island, I wouldn’t hesitate to choose Naxos as it has so much going for it and offers everything that you’re looking for. If the ferry schedules fall kindly, you might even be able to spend an afternoon and evening in Syros.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Lake District
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

Well we've been to Syros for 2 weeks for the last 2 years and absolutely loved it. As well as Ermoupoli you've got Ano Syros to wander around. Lots of lovely little chapels all over the place and some nice seaside places as well - we love Kini. You can also nip across to Tinos quite easily as well.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Kini
Kini
Syros, Greece
Tinos
Tinos
Cyclades, Greece
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

Thank you for your answers! They helped a lot to give understanding.

Actually, after looking around much more we are now considering going to Skopelos instead! :)

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

i would have thought there is even less to do on skopelos than syros.you could maybe day trip to skiathos or alonissos and perhaps the mainland but you will miss a very beautiful city in ermoupolis and an island relatively free of tourists.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

How come you think there is less to do on Skopelos? It is a bigger island, no? Also more green and we are getting very good vibes from it now - not that it's a competition between islands, really. :)

In case we don't go there now I have a feeling we will be coming back to Syros as well at some time!

Belgium
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

We spend 3 weeks in Syros every year for the last 7 years and believe me, we have never been boring. We are 2 families with 5 children from 2 years old to 17. Everybody is enjoying so much.

Ermoupolis is a great town with a lot to visit and discover. Nice beaches around. Special hospitality, atmosphere. We tried Syros 7 years ago after visiting many other islands and now it seems that we will never go somewhere else.

We don't understand why on this forum, Naxos is so successful....we have been there and didn't find anything so special....

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
D K
Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

Hey MercurySea, if going to Skopelos, as lots are due to MAMMA MIA, make sure its in the main 8 week peak summer months July/Aug, otherwise you will find it very quiet & a lot of amenities closed.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
69 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

Dear MercurySea

Syros and Skopelos are completely different islands! Syros is a rather dry and green-less island with a spectacular harbour and main town as well as magnificent churches and cathedrals (half of the inhabitants are Catholic).

Skopelos is a green island, resembling what you saw in Mama-Mia, nevertheless bear in mind that ANY Greek island looks incredibly beautiful when a film producer captures its surroundings :)

In few words, both Syros and Skopelos are marvellous places for peaceful and relaxing holidays with good food and average accommodation (no 5-star hotels on these islands). To sum up, go to skopelos for a more "green" setting or chose Syros if you like the wilder scenery of Cyclades.

Mentioned in this post
Cyclades
Cyclades
South Aegean, Greece
Belgium
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

I have just discovered a wonderful site and I invite you to enjoy it as much I did:

www.greektravel.com/greekislands/syros/

Thank you Mr Barrett's

10. Re: Spending two weeks on Syros - enough things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 05:32
Get answers to your questions about Syros
Recent Conversations