We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips in Syros?

Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips in Syros?

Hi,

My husband and I are in Syros for the next 6 nights and I am beginning to think we made a mistake in booking for this length of time. It rained heavily for most of yesterday althought it appears to be clearing up today.

I had thought easy day trips to Mykonos and maybe some of the other islands would be possible but Mykonos is a long long day (leave at 9 and back at 8:30 or thereabouts). The only other ones which are shorter are Tinos and Serifnos ( or something like that!). Our hotel - the Syrou Melathron - is very nice and convenient to the main town area - but I am not sure what else we can do during our time here. I think there is a green bus which goes to various parts of the southern island and perhaps we could stop for lunch etc at villages that take our fancy.

We have also discovered the Megharon Cafe which has already become our favourite stop for coffee - very stylish but very welcoming - great staff!

Any hints/advice would be welcome. We have already spoken to the TeamWork travel agency which was very nice but unable to offer more than the boat trips mentioned above.

Ermoupolis City Hall
Monuments & Statues, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Architectural Buildings, Government Buildings
Saint Nicholas Church
Churches & Cathedrals, Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips in Syros?

You may take the public bus to either Finikas or Kini. Both have some lovely sea-food restaurants at the sea. You find the buses close to the ferry pier. Buy tickets onboard. The bus to Finikas makes a circle of the southern part of Syros, which gives you a look around at a very cheap price. There is also a bus to the church at Ano Syros. Then you have a nice walk down to the town, but if it is still raining it may be slippery.

The ferry to Serifos is not suited for a day trip. It is the start of a rather long circle-route to various Cycladic islands. Check out at www.gtp.gr for ferry schedules to all islands.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips in Syros?

The obvious answer is: move on to another island. ;o)

Boston...
Level Contributor
426 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips in Syros?

Tinos is not far by ferry. Not sure of the frequency at this time of year. Go to gtp.gr for timetable etc.

Visited by many Greeks who are on a pilgrimage to the Panaghia /Church in the main port. Certainly worth a visit and at least an over night. Good food to be had in town. Some really nice countryside, lots of Dove coats and small churches . Some good bus tours with the local bus company available to small villages both full and half day.

Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips in Syros?

Thanks for your advice/suggestions. We had booked to go to Serifos yesterday and it was quite a long day though if it hadn't been the end of the tourist season ther may have been a couple more buses returning from the Hora alllowing us a bit more time there. I was so pleased to see the ferry returning us to Syros.

we will be making enquiries about the bus trips mentioned and I think the change in weather will help as well.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips in Syros?

If you are still in Syros you have to go to Daidadi for ice cream if you haven't already:

http://www.daidadi.com/

It is the very best ice cream I have ever had in my life.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips in Syros?

Ever helpful Heimdalli (:-)

Mezzie…..we stayed on Syros for two weeks a couple of years ago and loved the place…we stayed in June and it was very quite (weather was great though) so I suspect now in October Syros could be in hibernation! ….I remember returning a hire car after one day because there was so little to see……saying that Ermoupoli is one of the best island capitals in Greece with plenty to keep you occupied…..Like others have said Tinos was a good day excursion visiting the Church and all the souvenir stalls (if a little tacky) We stayed at Galissas-a small beach resort village about 5 miles from Ermoupoli(on the bus route) a few lovely Tavernas (if they are open) The Dolphin Bay Hotel’s beach taverna was fantastic-food/view/staff/price… open in June at lunch time only……Think the hotel is open all year so the taverna might…..Galissas is definitely worth a few hours visit….hop off- hop on island bus…..taxis into town wasn’t that expensive. Enjoy

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips in Syros?

Hi

we were in Syros in June. Would recommend the trip to Tinos. Had a great day visiting the Church of the Panaghia and shopping around the town. Get on the bus and visit Galissas which has a superb beach and excellent tavernas,

Cheers Jack

8. Re: Day trips in Syros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Syros
Recent Conversations