We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

Which is the best way to get to Syros? Mykonos seems very close but are there enough ferries to be able to connect with a flight? I would be leaving Syros on a Sunday to catch a plane from Mykonos at 13.00 hours and from the timetables that are available now (notoriously difficult to check this out on the internet!) it looks like I wouldn't get there in time.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Ermoupolis City Hall
Architectural Buildings, Government Buildings, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saint Nicholas Church
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

Nothing difficult about it.

www.gtp.gr/RoutesResults.asp…

Whether it's wise to risk a cancellation on the date of your flight is another matter.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

Thank you. It says the schedule is not officially approved yet. But I guess there is likely to be an early morning ferry? If not, I guess we would just have to go to Mykonos on the Saturday night and hope that we can find a room (it will be mid July so high season?)

But generally do you think it makes more sense to fly to Mykonos rather than Athens?

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,399 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

Whether Mykonos or Athens is 'best' depends not only on the sync calculations but also on whether you want to travel through the Athens/Piraeus area or stay a night on Mykonos.

The ferries from either point do conform to a pattern of departure times there is no problem about that.

I prefer to use Mykonos as I've done the via Athens/Piraeus bit so many times to get 07:30 ferries to the Cyclades it became tedious.

The last time I went from Mykonos at a similar flight arrival time, it was 14:15 departure or wait until a possible evening departure of maybe around 20:00.

To simplify that 1 night on Mykonos settles any will you/won't you make the 14:15 ferry, or a long wait.

Coming back you will have to overnight on Mykonos just due to ferry timings from Syros.

People might say that's expensive but you do save on the longer ferry cost from Piraeus. Relaxing on Mykonos is better than crashing thru Athens/Piraeus on the X96 bus at 04:00 dead tired.

Book your nights on Mykonos, it's tedious looking on arrival on Mykonos in paricular by that time of year.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 11:54
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Cyclades
Cyclades
South Aegean, Greece
Malton, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

There is the possibility of flying to Siros from Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

I would agree with the previous poster and would stay the night before your flight on Mykonos. Mid July should still be Ok to find accomodation as the " Mykonos madness" does not seem to start until the end of July. Mmnay hotels offer complimentary transport from the prot and to the airport which also cuts down on the cost of taxi's if you travel on the the same day. We are just back from a 9 night stay on Syros and stayed on Mykonos the first and last night. Easy, cheap and hassle free

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

Be careful if you are planning to sail with Aqua Jewel. The former "not officially approved " routes has been cancelled for a couple of weeks now. Nobody knows when she is going to sail again.

Bath
Level Contributor
513 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

Hey Periscope. What's happened to it-any ideas? Do you think that NEL will cover the Syros - Naxos Fri lunchtime schedule (not yet approved but due to be Aqua Jewel- Lavrio-Milos itinerary) in Aug with another boat?- relying on it but suppose will have to go via Mykonos if not running. Best laid plans!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

I dont know. We had planned to use Aqua Jewel from Sikinos to Naxos two weeks ago, but had to change plans in last minute. She was long moored in Lavrio, but has now turned off the identification transmitter.

Mentioned in this post
Sikinos
Sikinos
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Bath
Level Contributor
513 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

Thanks! Back to journey planning!

Loughborough
Level Contributor
220 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Siros - best to fly to Mykonos or Athens?

We are flying into Mykonos on a Tues in July. Land 1315. Then we're taking the 1830 ferry to Syros. Arrive Syros 1930. Its with Hellenic. Not sure on what other days it sails.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Syros
Recent Conversations