We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Paros to Syros

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Paros to Syros

Hi

Could anyone tell me if its possible to get a ferry from Paros to Syros in August please? Despite numerous searches, I can't find one but just wanted to check before I cross the route off my itinerary.

Thank you

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

Yes, it is possible most days of the week. The service is provided by NEL Lines who usually do not post/confirm their timetables much in advance. It may be a couple of months until you see the timetables for August. However, since NEL run all year, their summer timetables are very similar to what you can see now with the major difference of Mykonos being inserted in bewteen Paros and Syros making the journey longer

nel.gr/routes/dromologia/en/syros-paros-naxo…

www.openseas.gr/openseas/search-routes.html

http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

We're a family of 5 travelling during busy August so I'd like to book accommodation as soon as possible. Do you think I will be 'safe' to just assume the ferry will be running as you've outlined? How do others get round this problem??

Bath
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

Yes there will be a link between the two. If for any reason(like an occasion this summer) the ferry breaks down/ doesn't run then you can hop from Paros to Mykonos on Highspeed or Seajet and then onto Syros.....there are about 3 links from Mykonos to Syros each day. It is usually reliable though.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

One thing to look out for doing that journey. Most Paros ferries come in at the old port in Mykonos town, and most Syros ferries go out of the new port. Its only about a mile away but getting a TAXI in Mykonos can be a problem, but there is a bus service from old to new port (just to the left as you exit the old port). I've only been in September when it was often just an hourly service, on the hour. Likely to be more frequent in season.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

I believe that's no longer the case in July and August - the main ferries on the Paros-Mykonos route this summer will be Highspeed 5 and Megajet, which will almost certainly use the new port. It's only the smaller passenger-only catamarans, such as the Flying Cats, Seajet and Superjet, that continue to use the old port.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

Hi,

I am having the same issue, Trying to get a ferry in August from Syros to Paros and the only one i find departs Syros at 22.30, a bit late..

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

It's much too early to get the complete timetable for August. Some of the ferry companies will publish their schedules before Christmas. Others may be a lot later than that. You should have the complete picture by about next April. I think you will be able to do the journey almost every day somehow. The problem is that Syros to Paros isn't a route that has a regular daily service every day of the week. Blue Star do it some days late at night and that will be the one you have found, and they don't do that route in the reverse direction. NEL Lines serve that route but I think it is a couple of days of the week and they don't publish their schedule very far in advance, but it never changes. Other days you would have to go via Mykonos. There is a regular daily Blue Star ferry to Mykonos but you would then have to use a catamaran to Paros and the timings of those change every year.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

I've just checked the NEL Lines timetable on their website. There are more journeys from Syros to Paros than I thought. Last August they did this journey as follows; Mon 0700, Tue 0700 and 0800, Fri 1240, Sat 1000, Sun 0700. The timetable for next year is likely to be similar.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

Online booking with Blue Star for August 2015 is now available. I booked ferries today with it.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Paros to Syros

It's certainly not necessary to book this early and vast majority of interisland ferries do not need to be booked in advance at all.

Blue Star seem to be playing with their summer timetables, ferries and routes at the moment. What's in their booking system is not reflected anywhere else on the website. Hopefully they are not catching the 'Seajets disease' (start taking bookings early and then change the timetables)

Get answers to your questions about Syros