We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halki isles (chalki isles)

London
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Halki isles (chalki isles)

We stayed on the Halki Isles for 14 days (it is just off Rhodes). We chose this island as we wanted to get away frmo it all (and get away we certainly did!!!.

This place is not for everyone, there is very little to do there, but if its peace and relaxation you want...you have got it!

The people there are very friendly, but it is basic...a few tavernas, one taxi for the whole island, a few little market shops, and thats it. There is no bank and there is just one cash machine which doesn't work most of the time. The boat from Rhodes to Halki only goes once a day and doesn't go often, so once you are there you are there!!!

The water is crystal clear (beautiful) and it was very hot when we were there (july). There is a small artificial sandy beach, and 1 or 2 rocky beaches but thats it.

There were no mosquitoes where we stayed (Kaliopi apartments). Our apartments were clean but very very basic, not even air conditioning...but doors could be left open for air to go through.

Food and drink there were cheap (and cigarettes if you smoke), but once again THERE IS VERY LITTLE TO DO.

This suited us perfectly, but for most people a day or 2 would be enough.

Our stay there was pleasant.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

A couple of points to mention about Halki is it is predominantly British package villa tourists, as a consequence almost impossible for independent travellers to get any accomodation and if you do it is 50% pricier than a normal greek island, cheap it is not. The quality of accomodation is better than in less touristy small islands.

There are actually more ferries than the small boat link with Kamiros Skala on Rodos. Lane line ferries run about3x/week to Karpathos, Kassos, Sitia, Ag Nikolaos, Santorini, Milos and Piraeus. Also directly to Rhodes town.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

Hello. Im planning on traveling to Halki for a return visit in a few weeks. Im having trouble finding any accomodations. Do you have any recommendations

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Laskarina properties on Halki - now that they have given up trading someone must have taken over these properties.

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

The laskerina properties have been taken by Nissia holidays -they just book the accomadation -you have to sort your own flights .

We've been to Halki 5 times now and loved every minute of it -I think this year there are more nationalities visiting the island which will lessen the British influence

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

Hi there

That's the beauty of Halki - there is "very little to do". I've been over a couple of times and found the island so relaxing, just walking, sunbathing and swimming - wonderful....

Exeter
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

Finding independent accommodation on the island, now that Laskarina has ceased trading, is not that hard. if you Google 'Halki accommodation' a lot of options come up for private rental properties, and getting to the island indepentently is very staight forward. I have been visiting Halki (Villa Fiona) for many years and there is something very special about it. It's amazing how much time can be occupied with having 'nothing to do' there!

I have travelled all over Greece and before Halki had never gone to the same place twice, but having found Halki, I have no desire to go anywhere else in the country particularly - I believe I have discovered 'perfect' Greece!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

Condra

You will have extreme difficulty in finding any available accomodation on Halki in August because all accomodation is pre-booked largely by Brits, either on packages or independently.

I arrived way off season in early June from Crete/Karpathos, the only accomodation available was the hotel Halki (I grid searched the entire village). Not sure this hotel is still open.

Kleanthi and the Argirenia on the right of the road to Pondamos beach may have some rooms.

Put 'chalki rooms' into a search engine, you never know your luck.

Exeter
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

It's true that accommodation may be more difficult in August, as that is when the Greeks who have moved away return to visit relatives and attend a festival (so not mostly Brits at all).

I happen to know that there is availabity still at the moment as it is a bit quieter apparently since the Laskarina shut down.

What must be understood about the 'Brits' that go to Halki, is that they tend to all be people that are looking for 'real' Greece and so try not to impinge on the island and don't want to change things. The hotel is not open yet as it is in the middle of a refurbishment.

There aren't many 'rooms' available in the backpacking sense of the word, but there are plenty of studios, apartments, and traditional houses.

There is absolutely no high rise building anywhere and the architecture is all in the vernacular of 'Halki houses', a particular hipped roof and neoclassical style.

Exeter
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

I know this is very late in the day, seeing as it's 2 years since you posted your request for Halki accommodation info, but... Vill Fiona might be an excellent choice! www.villafiona.com

midlands
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Halki isles (chalki isles)

do you know if they have installed air con at the Kaliopi since your visit.