We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

Hi! My boyfriend and I went island hopping around the Cyclades a few years ago and we fell in love with the Greek Islands! We now we want to go back and island hop the Dodecanese!

We are looking for some lovely little islands to chill out - that are not absolutely full of package tourists, but have great food and a nice Greek feel. As an indication, we absolutely loved the 'Little Cyclades', especially Koufinisia, Folegandros and Amorgos.

We are also looking for a couple of islands with a bit more life, such as Naxos in the Cyclades, just to get a couple of more lively nights in. However, we are not interested in clubbing or staying out until all hours!

Basically, anywhere where we can relax on a beach with crystal clear waters, eat Greek salads and drink Mythos, then go out for some yummy food in the evening.

Any islands within the Dodecanese sprint to mind?

Also - we are going the first two weeks in June. I am assuming that we can just 'wing it' and find accomodation/ferries once we get there? Does anyone have a view as to whether the ferries will be running frequently by then (or have any good websites detailing ferry times)?

Thanks!

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

i have been to lipsi twice,not for a few years though but it was lovely.small port village,minibuses to some nice beaches,others in walking distance.enough choice of tavernas and bars so as not to get bored.i also was quite taken by leros,i only visited for a day from lipsi and it is probably the greek island least touched by foreign tourism that i have been to and i am upto 30 plus now.patmos is also nice but i believe it is now visited by cruise ships so it may have changed a bit since i was there.however, the monastery and cave on patmos are definately worth a visit if you are close enough.

from any of the above,it is easy enough to get to rhodes or kos where i am sure you will be able to find as many lively nights as you want i am sure you are correct about accomodation,i always travel in early june and never have problems.

the best site for ferries is www.gtp.gr,you will probably find that the schedules for june are not out yet but just keep checking along with the rest of us!!

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

Leros is indeed beautiful, and unspoilt. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

In June, 2009 my husband and I visited Samos, Patmos and Leros. These islands are fairly close to each other and are on the same ferry route. We enjoyed our trip to these islands very much - lots to see and do -or not, good food, good swimming, good weather.

Karen

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,571 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

Besides ordinary ferries you will have the option of seasonal links like Flying Dolphins and the Diodecanese is also served by this catamaran:

http://www.12ne.gr/en/

I second the recommendation of Leros. From this island it is also easy to continue north or south depending upon your choices. Day excursions should also be available.

Some of the other islands:

Patmos

http://tinyurl.com/da4ehb

Kos

http://tinyurl.com/kl9qnj

http://tinyurl.com/crxhs2

Nissyros

http://tinyurl.com/ceyueu

Kalymnos

http://tinyurl.com/crscd9

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

Hey and welcome jac562:-) I'll third (or 4th;-) Leros..and Kalymnos as well! Patmos does in fact..as it has for a long while.. fall prey to the 'cruises' but is nonetheless another uniquely wonderful isle! Have fun planning and Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

Thanks so much for all the tips! I am looking at flights and it seems a bit cheaper to fly to Kos than Rhodes, so we may well try to do a night there before heading to the islands. Howeer, I had a friend who was quite disppointed in Kos. Has anyone got any tips on which part to head for and where to stay that's not full of 'Brits abroad'?

Thanks for your help - and any other island tips, please let me know!!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

Hey again..and our pleasure:-) Am sure someone will kick to further help out..I, unfortunately, have to take the 'long' way around;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

I'm not sure how to take the 'Brits abroad' comment as personally I feel there are 'Brits' and then there are 'Brits'. The main reason it is popoular is because as you have found out the flights are generally less expensive from the UK. I also don't know where your friend stayed but if you do think of staying on Kos then Mastihari may fit the bill. It is a nice village with a more traditional feel than most other places with some good tavernas and the odd bar or two but without the culture you are maybe trying to avoid. You can also get the ferry from Mastihari to Kalymnos. There are some good photos on the link below.

www.mastihari-uncovered.com

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

I completely agree - there are certainly lovely 'Brits' abroad, of which I consider myself to be one! I just want to avoid the stereotypical 'Brits abroad' culture, which generally involves having English fry-ups and sitting in English-style pubs, watching English football! I understand that other people enjoy this, but I like to get a bit of local culture and food when I go abroad!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dodecanese Island Hopping - June 2010

My previous comments were a bit tongue-in-cheek and do agree with you that there are certain places I would avoid because of their reputation. You didn't say where your friend stayed but do have a good look at the website I put in my previous answer. There is some really good information on there plus some photos that give a flavour of Mastihari. We have friends in Tigaki who would probably get upset if we stayed anywhere else but we would definitely choose to stay in Mastihari otherwise.

Get answers to your questions about Dodecanese