We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing Greek islands with children

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing Greek islands with children

My family are keen to sail the Docadanese/Turkey in July 2013. We just want a week, 2 cabins and a crew (captain, hostess and cook). We are not sailors and just want to relax, going from island to island, and see the local historical sites. Maybe from Kos or Bodrum. We are happy to share with several other groups but we do have 3 children.

It just seems so complicated.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

Do you want to take a boat trip from Bodrum to Turkey, or charter a yacht for yourselves with a skipper etc, as these are two different things.

Check on website for chartered boats, depends of your pocket. Also bear in mind that you will be moving to another country from Greece, and port taxes etc must be added to your charter. Most yachts leave from Piraeus.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

Thanks for your reply and I know it was a long time ago but we have since booked for the Sporades with www.greecebysail.com two cabins on MS Anatolie, which should be fabulous. It wasn't very google friendly to find but Capt Alex has been wonderful to deal with and they have many glowing reviews.

ny
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

we are interested in your recent experience with Greece by Sail as we have also been communicating with Capt. Alex. I have found no reviews and would value your comments!

ny
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

we are interested in your recent experience with Greece by Sail as we have also been communicating with Capt. Alex. I have found no reviews and would value your comments!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

Hi,

In the booking part he has been excellent and very informative. We have had several emails back and forth. We are very excited about our trip in late July. if you look at the website there are letters people have written to him in thanks for their trip but yes no external reviews. I think one of the reasons there are no reviews is he isn't very computer savvy and the site is hard to find when you goggle, but he recently told me the Greek government is assisting smaller companies and his was rated very highly. I recommend you contact him after 9am on Saturdays from now until Sept as that is changeover day at 9am and pickup of new guests is 4.30pm at Athens Airport. He is filling up and the website seems to always get updated on a saturday when he must do his "paperwork".

For me the slower pace is a trade off for a true Greek experience and the fact that he is not selling a party boat that is too touristy.

He only emailed me on saturday, just gone, at 4.30pm (obviously at the airport waiting for guests) asking for my flight details.

I think ask lots of questions, ring if that makes you feel more secure, but Saturday will be your key.

ny
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

thank you for the additional information.

like you, i have also read the reviews on his website. I wish there was an outside review.

do you have an exact name for his business? might you remember how you found the company in the first place?

many thanks, again!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

I googled "Greece cabin charter Sporades" and then realised that page two might be a good idea and there he is 3rd one down page two.

Capt. Alexandre J. MATSAKIS

www.greecebysail.com

Tel : +30 69 78 19 66 67

email: alexandrematsakis@voiliergrece.com

VAT number in Greece : EL134357319

Hope that helps we have also been told that our Captain will be Themis

ny
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

thank you again.

good luck to us both!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

Ha Ha! It is not a cheap holiday so I fully understand your concerns. I will keep your details and let you know if I speak to him. Out of interest when were you planning on going?

10. Re: Sailing Greek islands with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Dodecanese