We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

We are thining of taking a week in Kalymnos from 25th September. The flight arrives about 3pm but I am concerned that we will get stuck overnight in Kos and lose the first day of our holiday if the ferry schedule is reduced. At the moment, they run at 09.30 and 17.30, which would be fine. The travel companies are very cagey about giving out any information.does anyone know any more? Thanks. It's our first visit so would also appraciate any does and don'ts. We like somewhere quiet and non touristy but within reach of a decent beach and a few good restaurants. Any help gratefully apprciated!!

Steph

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

You've got that wrong, there are more ferries from Mastichari than that.

Use this reference http://www.gtp.gr/

That says 08:05, 09:00, 11:00, 13:45, 16:30, 18:00, 20:45, 21:30, 22:30(probably).

http://www.anekalymnou.gr/

http://www.anemferries.gr/en/

Thus you would expect to catch the 16:30 or 18:00 whatever, plenty to allow for delays.

The package companies have to rely on the ferry companies, and may have to assemble their 'flocks' from more than 1 flight thus may use a later ferry than expected.

There are less touristy islands than Kalimnos in that chain of islands.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 17:18
West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

Thanks for this, very helpful. Any suggestions for where to stay (or avoid!!) on the island?

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

steph

Are you thinking of going to Kalymnos independently or on a package?

West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

probably a package with Olympic, Manos or Cosmos. As it's only a week we thought that would be easier for a first trip. Open to suggestions though............

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

I don't do packages at all to Greek islands, so no idea where they go.

I have stayed in Massouri and on Telendos(small boat from Myrties).

Massouri - Myrties is merged into a linear resort area. Massouri has the better beach.

Pothia the main port town is large and noisy for a small island, if you want a Greek town then stay there.

You do get 1 or 2 offers of rooms for rent on arriving by ferry, they would normally be in the Myrties area.

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

Steph

On a package I would go for Massouri. Myrties is a ten minute walk away where you can get a small boat over to Telendos, small island, which used to be part of Kalymnos, with no traffic and good tavernas on the quay. Or a boat up to Emporios at the top of the island, nice beach and good tavernas. Massouri is on a bus route to Pothia.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 08:11
Horsham, England...
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

We have just returned from 2 weeks in Massouri, would really recommend, even in August it wasn't busy, great tavernas and bars. We used Cosmos and can't fault them at all. Our favourite bars were Sunrise and Fatatolitis ( I think that's how it's spelt), Our fav restaurant was Miltos and then the Aegean, this is a bit more pricey but still worth it. We went on Massouri beach by Cantina Beach Bar, we bought drinks from them so we got sun beds free. The sea is a bit pebbly to get in, you may need shoes, it is very clean but cold! We walked into Myrties for the little boat over to Telendos, both in the day and night - fabulous, this must be done. We also caught the local bus to Pothia, I didn't really like it here, we went on a Monday morning and it was too busy and noisy.

The ferry times posted in our hotel our - big boat....09.00, 18.00 and 21.30. The smaller boat which we used, 08.05, 11.00, 13.45, 16.30, 20.45 and 22.30. Both cost €5.0. A taxi from pothia harbour to Massouri is €15.0

Please ask if you need any more info, I love talking about it.

West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

Thnaks so much for this info, really helpful. I looked at Cosmos; which accomodation did you book? It looks like quite a small island so I guess it's easy to get around by bus or on foot. Did you visit Panormous at all; this is where we are thinking of going (with Olympic) I sounds easy enough to do your own thing, but we only have a week and I prefer to have things organised the first time we visit somewhere if time is short. Thanks again.

Horsham, England...
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

Hi, we stayed in the Continental in Massouri which I can highly recommend. We didn't visit Panormous, we are not much for sightseeing, in August it's a bit too hot and we had our 16yr old son with us too, he definitely not into sightseeing. We did find public transport reliable and the bus times are shown at most bus stops. Most people though get around by moped, that includes children and dogs!!! Oh yes we saw more than once coupleswith either a toddler or dog squashed inbetween them.... it is also quite hilly, It is famous for rock climbing . I'm sure it'll be lovely were ever you decide.

Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry transfers from Kos at the end of September

We have visited Kalymnos many, many times and have to stay Panormous wouldnt be my choice of places to stay unless you had a car....the accomodations around this area are ok Im sure but tavernas are very few and the beach is quite a walk away.... The last time we went was September last year and it was definately showing signs of recession.Try and get to Massouri..

Saying everything, dont let me put you off going to Kalymnos, it is and always will be my favourite Island (and I have been to many) the people are lovely and it is still very Greek...

Get answers to your questions about Kalymnos
Recent Conversations