We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

Hi, we've been to Greece 2 times already, and have seen: Paros, Santorini, Mykonos the first time; Kos, Kalymnos, Nisiros the second time. I have to say, I absolutely LOVED Kalymnos, not least because I do a bit of rock climbing. We just got on our scooters and rode everywhere, found secluded beautiful bays, etc. The island was JUST BIG ENOUGH to keep us busy for a few days, but small enough as to not be overwhelming. The traffic was pretty low-scale, which was very important to us. The number of tourists was OK, in the sense that there were enough many people to keep some nice restaurants and bars open, but not as many as to render the place a tourist trap.

Kos on the other hand, we found pretty awful to be honest - noisy, touristy, heavy traffic. Not authentic at all.

Would Karpatos be similar to Kalymnos? Any other islands that we should consider? Not tiny-tiny ones, but similar in size to Kalymnos. Ideally, in Dodecadenese or Cyclades, but not necessarily.

thanks!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,557 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

Look up Naxos - get an idea through donnyb's blog here:

http://tinyurl.com/mss35hd

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

For rock climbing try Tinos.

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

thank you for the suggestions.

Is Karpathos as busy, in terms of the number of visitors and traffic, as Kos? I take it the other two islands that you suggested aren't. We're going for the full 2 weeks, so will probably try a few different islands.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

Karpathos is far, far less busy than Kos.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

I'd say Kos is at least ten times busier than Karpathos. I visited Karpathos several years ago in end July, staying mainly in Pigadia and Lefkes, and it was very quiet. Quieter than Naxos and Tinos normally at the same time of year, but a taxi driver told me that that year was slightly unusual. Apparently the year before the island was "full" but I don't think he meant as busy as Kos. There is just no enough infrastructure to accommodate large numbers of tourists, and it's also a bit off the beaten track for most visitors with relatively few flights and ferries. I don't know anything about rock climbing in Karpathos, though, I were there mainly for the beaches.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

Have a look here for climbing http://www.karpathos-climbing.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

thanks all for replies. I didn't know there was any climbing on Karpathos! Sure it's not the world-class climbing that can be found in Kalymnos, but I'm sure it could keep me busy for a few days. I'm really tempted to go to Karpathos now, as it sort of ticks all my boxes: it's just large enough to keep exploring new places on a scooter for the whole week, but small enough as to not be overwhelming; there are watersports (I'd like some kitesurfing); climbing; and it's not that populated, or popular with tourists.

Volos, Greece
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

karpathos cannot be compared with Kos. absolutely no way. i will agree with you that kos is a nightmare (for me at least). karpathos is one of my favorite islands. bare in mind its quite big and offers many different areas(in terms of beaches/villages/nature/scenery/activities). also since it is a big island tourism was absorbed in many areas.it didnt bother me at all(and believe me, i dislike packed touristic islands) you may get a bit disappointed whilst entering the port (especially after that long boat trip)but i can ASSURE YOU, as soon as you start discovering the island you will be amazed. i ve traveled there in mid-july three years ago and i was able to find numerous wonderful beaches with just a few people and if you are an adventurer then you will definitely have some beaches for your self only!. i can go on and on about karpathos(one of the greatest holidays i ve ever had) but i will just tell you that if you ll have transportation(we rented a car from the island and the price was good as far as i remember) then you should definitely visit.....make sure you visit Olympos and have something delicious to eat(hm, i still remember the food there!)

whatever you do enjoy

9. Re: Compare Kalymnos to Karphatos, recommend similar islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Karpathos