We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time on Halki

Northumberland
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
First time on Halki

Im just about to book a week in Halki through Olympic. Before I do could I please ask a few questions?

What is the weather like in late may?

They are offering 2 apartments/studios Kaliopi and Roulia - do you have to be an Olympic athlete to access either of these? I dont consider myself disabled but do have a bit of a knee problem sometimes so would this affect play?

I discovered Symi last year and absolutley loved it (lots of steps)- some of the people I met there also recommended Halki and I cant wait to expand my experience of smal Greek Islands without airports!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time on Halki

Hi

I'd take a cardy for nights but it should be nice enough in the day but you may get an odd spit or two. The sea will probably be a little on the cool side still - it gets warm enough for me a bit later in the season. (Personal view, depends what you want/like)

Most apartments in Halki involve something of an incline, unless you are on the harbourside - not sure either of these are but Olympic ought to be able to advise you. We usually stay 2 or 3 levels up. There is either slopes or steps - the steps can be rather uneven but most seem to manage them and there is no rush.

It is much quieter than symi but hope that you love it as much as many others who go there. There really isn't much to do, especially if your knee restricts you a wee bit. I find I can keep myself amused for days on end by watching the comings and goings and gazing into the sea watching for the odd yacht. I happen to like that, but some folks may find it just a wee bit too quiet.

You might try posing your question here http://halkivisiting.proboards.com/index.cgi - loads of people who can give great 1st hand advice and guidance.

I have had a friend go to Halki with Olympic and they found that there was little in terms of in-house info - if that's the case with you, you will find that Zifos travel in the front will help you, i am sure - or just ask anyone where to find things - most people are very obliging and many find a lasting bond with this odd little island (I did!). Hope you do too.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time on Halki

If you want an apartmetn studio right on the water, you could consider these beautiful apartments right on the waterfront. No heat, no climbing and the water ready for you to dive in. www.villa-hionastudios.com

Northumberland
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time on Halki

Thankyou for all the information KayHBee. I have booked for a week 25th May and looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet. Just me, my ipod, good book and a glass of wine - its always a winning combination for me! Will just take my time and wander round exploring my new surroundings looking for a friendly taverna or two. I did think it would be too soon for swimming and thats a great shame but will have to make do with a good old geordie plodge!

Only 15 more sleeps - getting excited now!

uk
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time on Halki

we arrive as you hit your 7th day - hope you have a good time!

5. Re: First time on Halki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Halki
Recent Conversations