We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New places to see in Kos

Oldham
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
New places to see in Kos

Hi to anyone who can help. We will be visiting Kos for our fourth consecutive year at the end of June(and I said I would never visit anywhere more than once!) we love Kos and especially Tingaki. We stay at the Irina Beach hotel not only because of it's wonderful position but because of Maria & Nikos and Maria and sexy George!!!

I wonder if anyone could recommend any more wonderful places to visit and particularly any really good Tavernas. We love Ampeli and lots of the restaurants in Tingaki, we have been to Zia every year and travelled all around the Island. I wondered if there any woderful places we have missed. I am going to do a boat trip this year and Kostas I wondered if you could recommend which would be the best. Also can I just say how helpful you are on this forum and nothing seems too much trouble. I am very impressed.

Thanks in Anticipation :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New places to see in Kos

Hi there

Well, it would seem that in 4 years you have seen most of the island's sights for sure, after all, Kos isn't very big in the grand scale of things. have you been to the hot springs at Bros Thermae? The Asklepeion, Platani Turkish village, the castle at Andimahia, the ancient Byzantine temple of Panayia Palatiani and the site of old Asdtypalea, both down on Cape Krikello?

Best boat trips? - there are two really that most of the caique owners offer - the one most go for is the three islands tour - Kalymnos, Plati and Pserimos, the other one is to the volcanic island of Nissyros.

Kos island
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New places to see in Kos

you got me shy now:)))))let me recover.. Kostas

Oldham
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New places to see in Kos

Thanks so much GB for those ideas I think I will definately try the three island boat trip, any particular boat that you would recommend? We haven't visited the springs or some of the other places you mentioned so thay are going on my list of things to do and see. You are also a really good help on this forum.

Any other really excellent places to eat would be greatly appreciated.

Kostas don't be shy!:)

Kos island
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New places to see in Kos

Hello Emerald.Thanks for your nice words and especially for the "nothing seems too much trouble". You have already been here 4 times and i think you already know a lot.You are coming because you are feeling good around here and i am sure your friends at the Irena 2 are giving you good clues. Also GB has given a few and i am sure he knows dozens more. Being in tavernas with friends mixing retsina with soda and ordering food which we will never make it to eat it all is what i mainly do. I have answered a couple of posts about tavernas but i can add a couple of them here too. Visit Zia and Oromedon Taverna at the sunset. The best view i have seen while dining.TAM TAM in Mastichari especially if you have children. Nick the Fisherman Taverna in Kos and dont forget to order Mydia Saganaki. He is spicy with the prices though but it worths it. Thermai Springs after midnight by the moonlight and white dry wine. Icy. I try to visit that when i get the chance. And remove all silver jewellery. They will change colour.Dont know about the other metals. Swimming at the Agios Theologos beach in Kefalos. Unforgettable. About the boat trip, if i was you i would take the chance to do he following options:

Overnight in Patmos.Leave in the morning by catamaran, visit a beach and a couple of sites. One of my favourite

Trip to Turkey for a day or two. Ephesus and Pamukale.

A day's trip to Nisyros. Dont be suprised if you see a crater there.

I gave you few clues but i am open to further discussion on request of course. I am sure that many friends will be willing to share a couple of notes for you.. :)Kostas

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New places to see in Kos

Hi there

The caique we went out on the three islands tours a couple of years ago was the "Odyssey" - Kostas tells me that this boat is still running out of Kos Town harbour. The captain was very friendly and knowledgeable and when we arrived on Plait, he reversed the boat onto an old landing stage to cook us all out food whilst we all jumped of the side into 12 feet of crystal clear water. Wonderful fun and good value for money.

Kostas - I was trying to remember the name of the "Fisherman" restaurant in Kos Town so thank you for reminding me.

Oldham
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New places to see in Kos

Thanks so much GB and Kostas........the springs at midnight under the moonlight with dry white wine sounds like something one must do at least once in a lifetime.....just the idea of it sounds so good! I did swim in the sea around midnight on my last visit and it was wonderful. Kostas would you recommend the Odyssey for the three Island trip?

Thanks also for ideas of new places to eat :)

Kos island
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New places to see in Kos

Yes sure, i can recommend it because i also trust GB. I have not travelled by Odysee but i could also recommend it because this year one of my two jobs is to be organising excursions for big groups for a company that has standard supplies for years. One of them is the Odysee which means that they are satisfied otherwise they would have put him down. It is also a nice caiquee(wooden boat), therefore why not.:)Kostas

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New places to see in Kos

Hi again

The reason we chose the Odyssey was because the captain wasn't pushy like some of the owners trying to sell us tickets and he was happy for us to go onboard and have a look around. The boat was very well cared for and all the wood and brass was obviously polished on a daily basis.

Oldham
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New places to see in Kos

Thanks you two yet again...... you are both a mind of information and I am now organised for my June trip to Kos with lots of new places to eat and lots of great things to do! :)

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New places to see in Kos

Hi emeraldbabe,Have you tried Kali Khardia in Mastihari, opposite the harbour? I have been told it's the only place to remain open throughout the year so used by Greeks which is always a recommendation.The food is lovely - especially fresh kalamares - not in rings but the whole thing and with skordalia.

The other place to try on the beach side is "Traditional House". Their produce is grown on their land and they serve the most delicious olive caviar as an appetizer - all home made.

I can recommend the boat trip but when I got to Pserimos one year, I decided to stay on and had a room overlooking the beach. It was October and there was only one other tourist on the island. On the final day, I sat and had an ouzo sitting at a table which was actually on the edge of the sea so I could paddle. Bit Shirley Valentine really!!!

Get answers to your questions about Kos