We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommend a good sun protection

kirkwall, orkney
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
recommend a good sun protection

going to Kos end of Aug/Sept 12.

being from Orkney, my wife is very fair skinned.

As we dob't really have a lot of sun at the best of times, can someone point me in the right direction for the best products to buy.

She's started this week on the sunbed and after her 1st 3min session, she came home all nice and red.

So goodness knows what the Kos sun'll do to her if we don't get the right protection.

It'll be her 1st time abroad, and most of you know it's not a bonny sight seeing us Brits Lobster Pink after 2 days :-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommend a good sun protection

Hi there

My Grandad was from the far north of Scotland and he always reckoned he needed the first week's holiday to go from being blue to white, then the second week to go from white to tanned!

Don't skimp here - buy a top branded lotion ( Ambre Solaire, Piz Buin, Nivea, etc, etc) with a high protection factor and use that for the first few sessions. It doesn't stop you from tanning of course, but prevents more of the harmful UV stuff from getting through and burning you.

Once you have a decent base colour, reduce the factor to a level you feel comfortable with and use it as often as you need it. If it's not a water resistant one, ensure you re apply after swimming. Don't let the sea breezes on Kos' western coast make you think it's cooler than it actually is - I've seen people there literally with skin hanging off their shoulders and back where they thought it was "cool" and didn't apply any lotion.

When you've finsihed for the day, apply a good quality after sun which will cool the skin and help maximise the colour. I always use Ambre Solaire's hydrating tan maintainer which is non greasy, easy to apply and smells good too.

Obviously, if at any time you feel that you are burning, then cover up or retire to an air conditioned bar!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommend a good sun protection

Hello!

I am whiter than snow and have recently developed a sun allergy. I find Biz Buin Allergy range to be of much help!

If you have access to Boots, No7 Anti-Ageing Pre Holiday Body Treatment (there is also one for the face) will increase the levels of melanine of her skin and prepare her to tan and not get pink/red.

It is very important to replace her skin's moisture after each day of sun exposure. I use Soltan Aftersun Cooling Gel (it has aloe vera, which is the greatest natural remedy for the skin) and after a while a put on a moisturiser (I use E45 cream).

Holland and Barrett Tan Tablets, also help the skin to get from white to brown and skip the lobster pink.

Hope this helps!

Thalia

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommend a good sun protection

PS. It's better to be safe than sorry, so a couple of Germolene cream tubes will take no space in your luggage and will cure a sunburn in less than 12 hours!

And if you do retire to an airconditioned bar, keep in mind that a bottle of Greek beer (such as Mythos or Alfa) can also speed-up the process! ;-)

London
Level Contributor
269 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommend a good sun protection

I'd also recommend your wife wears a hat a lot of the time as getting sunburn on your scalp is very painful.

Years ago when I used sunbeds I didn't find they helped much in terms of preparing for the real thing. The Greek sun is very strong and at the time you are travelling it'll be at it's worst between about 10.30-3.30 every day.

If the worst happens and she does get sunburnt check out the local pharmacy for advice or products and if they aren't open a pot of natural yoghurt from the supermarket will help the immediate pain.

Good luck!

Mia

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommend a good sun protection

Hi, also make sure she drink's plenty of water whilst in the sun.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommend a good sun protection

I thought it was fluids in general. Like tequila, beer, margarita...

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommend a good sun protection

Only for the very brave!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommend a good sun protection

Get her off those sunbeds at once!!!! I don't care what anyone says, I think they are evil & should be banned. It's a sad fact of life that everyone wants to be as brown as toast but they very often don't have the skin type to do so!

I remain a bit sceptical about the tablets myself & in order for them to work in even a small way; you would be needing to take them for minimum six weeks before exposure - the Imodeen brand are £30 for one months supply; money better spent on actual tomatoes as that is the main component. Start with a min. factor 20 - P20 is a very good one-application product, so you don't have to mess about every time you come out of the water. In fact, with your wife I'd probably say use it all the way through the hol - you can still tan perfectly well with a factor 20. Wear a nice big hat & keep an eye on those shoulders. I reckon the best way to go 10-20 minutes on the lounger (flip over after 10), nice dip in the sea to cool your skin down & then 10 minutes under the brolly. If you stick to this then you can't really go wrong - more than 20 mins in one position and you will be paying for it that evening; even though it won't show.

Excuse the lecture, but am constantly telling my other half 'turn over, love'. He replies 'yeah, just let me finish this chapter, only 4 pages' - and there are always tears at bedtime!!

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recommend a good sun protection

Could not agree with you more Stoog about sunbeds. They are evil IMO.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recommend a good sun protection

The tablets I am suggesting are different and cheaper.

It depends on the skin type and tolerance! I spend half of the day under the sun, but after years of practice I know what it needs for my skin to go straight from white to brown.

I force myself NOT to turn around unless I've spent 40 minutes standing still. Thank God, the books I buy from London help a lot! ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Kos
Recent Conversations