We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving

We have never driven abroad before but thought we might hire a buggy /quad rather than a car, we are staying at Lambi next week for 7 nights and would appreciate any advice, do I need to take licence or Insurance? and where is good to hire from and where to visit? thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

Hi there

Kos is easy to get around - there's really just the one main road that links Kos Town to the far south of the island, with a few offshoots to the various resorts. You can drive the length of Kos in an hour in a car. Take your licence but the hirers will sort out the insurancxe. DEFINATELY wear the helmets - you should be issued with them, if not, demand that you are given them.

Personallly, I'd still go with a small car. It's not that the roads are busy but there are horror stories every summer of accidents invoving quads, especially on gritty roads. If it's your first time driving in Greece, then I'd definately go with the car, more protection from other motorists and of course from the sun.

Top sights...

The Askleipion

Platani Turkish village

Embros Thermae springs

The Asfendiou villages

The castle at Andimahia

The islet in the bay at Kamari

Kos Town itself - fortifications, museums, old castle, and so on.

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

Sound advice from GB. Kos town hospital is full of people with injuries after accidents with quad bikes scooters etc. It beggars belief that they will wear the helmet, and nothing more than shorts or a bikini!!

I normally hire a jeep, so when you are forced off the road, there is less chance of damage. And don't forget the locals all drive on the "shady" side of the road.

On a more serious note though, it is the best way to see the island!! If anyone understands the roundabout system, especially the ones at Antimachea, let me know will you? I drive for a living over here but that still defeats me!!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving

thanks for the help, Jeep sounds good, can we hire in Kos town?

your quote **I normally hire a jeep, so when you are forced off the road, there is less chance of damage. ** I note you said WHEN not IF, thats a bit worrying!! think I might stay on the beach or find a coach tour.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving

Hi again

I'm hoping that what mastihari means is that when you divert from a regular tarmac-ed road onto a dirt or stone road there's less chance of damage to the vehicle with a jeep!! I've driven on Kos and all over Greece for nearly 20 years and I've never been forced off the road anywhere. Just keep as far over to the right as you can to let the locals get by you and you'll have no problems.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving

Driving on Kos roads is pretty easy. If someone wants to overtake you on the Main Road that runs up the centre of the island there is usually enough room to move over to the right and let them pass.

Roundabouts: Ok as long as you remember that if you are already on it you must give way to any vehicle coming on, in other words the opposite to the UK priority. We usually take it fairly slowly. I heard about 3 years ago they were going to change it to the same as the UK but it was still the same the last time we were there.

We used to hire a Vitara or Jimny but now find the smaller cars like the Atos or Punto better as they have A/C and are more comfortable and get us to the smaller beaches without any problems and they are cheaper to hire.

Never had any problems up to now with being pushed off the roads by locals, more of a problem is with visitors who don't quite know where they are going. Mostly I have found local drivers, although they do drive fast, are fairly tolerant.

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving

You obviously have never come across My old pal Kostas (co-owner of Tasty Palace. now Palatiano) in his concrete tipper truck, mind you, he did know it was me he was overtaking on a blind bend on that occasion.

Mentioned in this post
Kostas
Kostas
2 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving

<<You obviously have never come across My old pal Kostas (co-owner of Tasty Palace. now Palatiano) in his concrete tipper truck, mind you, he did know it was me he was overtaking on a blind bend on that occasion.>>

I did say 'mostly' I am sure he gave you a wave and a nice smile as he overtook? :-) Didn't know the Tasty Palace had changed its name.

There are of course inconsiderate drivers everywhere. I found drivers in Crete far more impatient than those in Kos but driving through the centre of Kos Town could be quite intimidating for a new visitor, mainly because of the maze of narrow streets.

Actually, having a re-think about transport for just 7 days, the bus system on Kos is quite good and will get you to most places you would want to go. On the odd occasion you may want to use a taxi you could find it more economical not to hire a car. It is worth working out your sums.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving

Hi again

if you did fancy using the buses, you'd first have to get into Kos Town. There are buses throughout the day that link Lampi with the Town or you can walk it in around 30 mins. From Kos Town, there are buses to Tigake, Marmari, Pyli, Mastihari, Andimahia, Kardamena and Kefalos.

There are also "town" services that run out from Kos Town to Agios Fokas, Alikarnassos, Messaria, and Platani.

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Marmari
Marmari
Kos, Greece
Kardamena
Kardamena
Kos, Greece
Kefalos
Kefalos
Kos, Greece
Agios Fokas
Agios Fokas
Kos, Greece
kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving

Yep, the TP is now the Palatiano as of this season. It's still run by Soula, and Kostas (the Waiter) He never waits on us though, we normally have to help ourselves!

He also delights in watching me crawl under the dashboard, when he picks us up or drops us back at the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Kostas
Kostas
2 Reviews
Kos, Greece
10. Re: Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Kos