We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Kos??

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay on Kos??

Hi

We will be 1st timers to Kos this August and are a bit unsure of where to stay. Were two adults and a 13 year old.

Just to give an idea of type of places vibe we like places we have stayed recently include......Cephalonia Lassi, Corfu Paleokastritsa, Skiathos Koukanouries.

We like a sandy beach, lovely views, few beach bars, plenty of taverners /restaurants, etc. So a family place without it being too loud, no drunken teenagers staggering around! A base where we can get to other places of interest would be good too.

Have been told the best beach is at Tigaki but that some places there had closed up last year because business was slow ? What about the other resorts?

If you can recommend self catering places that are close to the beach that would be great.

Many Thanks

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

A few places closing down should not affect Tigaki that much as there is still enough restaurants, shops and a few bars open in August to keep you occupied. I haven't been to Lassi but iff when on Kefalonia you took a trip to Skala then Tigaki has a similar appearance, not quite so pretty but Tigaki has a much better beach.

S/C places to stay - just remember you do not have to choose somewhere that has a pool as most places are very happy for you to use theirs.

A few apartments without pools you could look at are:

Saggitarius with the Marianna pool next door.

www.sagittariuskos.com/main.asp?id=1&lg=1

Villa Athena with the Jonathon and Miros pools next door

www.theokritostravel.gr

Aramnoi (not sure of closest pool) but it is right opposite the beach.

Tigaki - Kos

Tel.: +30 22420.69964

Fax.: +30 22420.69964

E-Mail: aramnoi@kos.forthnet.gr

I do not know the contact details but other places with pools you could look at are:

Kalloudis

Marianna

Mythos (only booked through Thomson)

Socrates

A bit smaller than Tigaki is Mastihari but still with a good beach and plenty of good tavernas and a few bars. Also a small harbour where you can take the ferry to Kalymnos for the day.

www.mastihari-uncovered.com

There are buses and taxis from Kos Town to both Tigaki and Mastihari.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 12 February 2011, 09:25
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

Just remembered about Sunshine Apartments, about 5-10 minute walk to beach but in a lovely quiet spot behind the main Tigaki road.

www.sunshine-kos.com

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

Thanks for the info, very useful.

Wonder if you can help with this ...............

Have been looking at the Marianna apts on a couple of sites but there seem to be 2 listings for what looks like the the same property? Travel Republic have Marianne Studios and also Mariana Studios one is slightly more expensive than the other for the same accomodation. Can you tell me if there is any difference between the two (are they just different blocks...if so do you know which has the best views)

Kind Regards

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

I have'nt heard of the Marianne but have stayed in the Marianna a couple of times. The pictures in the link below show the Marianna

tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotos-g664849-d56…

Another option for you to consider is Kalloudis shown on Travel Republic by its former name of Irene II (NOT Irene Beach which is quite a long way out of town) which is of a similar size and grade as the Marianna.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g664849-d1168…

kos
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

tigaki i think is the best place for u

places there i think didnt close down in high season rather they closed earlier towards the end of the season

mastichari or even marmari is a nice place too they re all in the northern coastline of kos

enjoy it all the best

eddieteddy

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
240 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

Want a soft, sandy beach and town with restaurants and not too noisy/crowded. Like Perissa on Santorini. What is the best for this- Kefalos, Kardamena, or Tigaki? We have no idea!

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

I'd go for Tigaki every time.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

Hi

We are ex Santorini Perissa too!! We like the smaller resorts with good beach, views, local food etc have been told that Tigaki was a great intro to Kos so we are off their in three weeks.

When are you thinking of going, I will report back on Tigaki on this site after we get back.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
240 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

Thank you! We are not going to Kos until next summer, 2012, and we hope to hear your report of Kos on your return.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
240 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay on Kos??

Thank you, Tigaki it is.

Any suggestions for small hotels with a pool? (Basic, but clean is fine.) We love children but are not looking for a family friendly place with 500 kids jumping and splashing all day in the pools and water parks in a 200 room resort...

Is there such a thing as a simple, quiet hotel in Tigaki?

Get answers to your questions about Kos
Recent Conversations